I Forge Iron

would this work for atmospheric forge body?

reneeholiday

ok, I'm (not so) patiently waiting for burner and insulation supplies coming from Zoeller. I ordered supplies for the simple paint can forge, but I don't have a paint can. I purchased a 5 gallon air tank from harbor freight, but can't help but wonder if this popcorn can could work, or if it's too thin/flimsy.

although i would paint it w/high temp rustoleum, it would still be funny to know it was once sporting FROSTY the snowman! ;-P

what do you think?

CED3E0FA-96B0-4967-ADEE-3F5943DB79BC-135

That tin will work fine.  No need to ruin a perfectly good 5gal air tank just to build a forge.

The material of the outer shell of the forge is rather irrelevant as all it's doing is giving some shape to the insulation; it does offer some protection for the insulation, but it's the shaping and support that matters.  You can use a tube of chicken wire to hold the insulation in place.

The problem will be the stress where the burner tube connects to the forge body.  Forge #3 was a coffee can forge and the stress of the burner tube pulling down under the weight of the burner and hose began to deform the shape of the can - the front was round, but the back was kind of a squashed oval.

Attaching legs to a popcorn can's going to be touchy, because the steel is so thin.  That doesn't mean it can't be done, just that you'll have to craft an engineering work-around to the problem.

Forge #4 is also a coffee can forge, so I took the top and bottom off of another can, slit it down the side and wrapped the second can around the first can to double the thickness of the wall - which seems to help with the structural rigidity.

Big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot) sell empty paint cans.

You could attach a heavier piece of metal contoured to the curve of the can to hold the burners. You wouldn't even need a welder (Sheet metal screws, machine screws or pop rivets) But, that's how they attach roll bars and cages to race cars. They aren't simply welded to the floor pan sheet metal. They would rip loose on fist impact. I agree that the can would be fine, however. Its just to contain the liner and if you use fire bricks as doors you are "in like flynn" Check out Zeollers' Simple Forge Plans. Those paint cans are only a little heavier than the popcorn can

yes, I have been looking & ordered parts for the zoeller simple gas forge. :-) but neither local Home Depot nor Lowe's sell the metal paint bucket, and i havent been able to procure an old propane or frion tank, so I opted for the air tank.

then I remembered I had saved the popcorn tin in case I ever built the flower pot furnace. and like the fact it has a lid.

I realize there will be some notable reinforcements necessary and then there's the issue of legs.

THEN, I started to wonder/worry if it is galvanized...