I Forge Iron

Hi

Just wondered if anyone can help. I need a new motor for my 1949 Massey 2CWT hammer. Unfortunately someone has nicked the plates off the old motor, so I don't know what the HP/KW or RPM should be. Can someone tell me what I need to me looking for so I can look for a replacement and hopefully avoid the £1,500 cost of a rewind! Any help or old motors would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben according to Massey its a 12kw/15hp , average consumtion 4.2 kw per hour, and 713motor speed     ,iam sure others will confirm this cheers Hans   Ps welcome to the Massey club. if you need more info seek out John Nicholson he is the Massey guy     

At that age, it may not be easy to get a direct replacement motor. It may well predate the IEC standards that most European motors are built to now and might not fit the base and the pulley. The base is generally pretty easy to adapt, but you may need to think in terms of a motor and motor pulley combination, rather than just the motor.

Based on Hans' figures, the nearest current standard IEC motor would be an 11 kW/15 HP 8-pole motor (which would give 750 RPM running synchronous to UK 50 Hz mains and a bit slower under load). This would be on a 180L frame and have a 48mm shaft.

It's worth shopping around, but the following should give the general idea:

http://www.motorcontrolwarehouse.co.uk/ac-motors/three-phase/ie1-standard-efficiency/tecc-cast-iron-0-55kw-to-315kw-2-/-4-/-6-and-8-pole-models-available/tecc-three-phase-cast-iron-frame-8-pole-models-available-choice-of-mountings-ac-motor-11kw/prod_62.html

Above info looks correct.

I *think* you might be able to get away with a 6 pole with a very small pulley. Sure ive seen them done that way.

You will have to do some jiggery pokery to get the existing pulley to fit a modern motor, or stump up quite a few hundred quid on a custom new one !

In my experience it is very rare that a motor actually needs rewinding, why do you think it does ?

Thanks Tim and Jon,

I took the motor to Severn Rewinds and they told me it had some earth leaks and needed a rewind, they quoted £1524 to do it based in 3 days work.

I did wonder if it might be worth just wiring it up and seeing what happens (whilst standing back and switching it on with a long sick)?