I Forge Iron

Probably new style tongs

Der_Hannes

Servus!

As i have the goal to achieve the goal to make a tong (one day) which is good enough to sell to get myself the award of a stylized tattoo, i trained and played around with tong for a while now.

Especially when i lost my favourite spring steel tong i made a long while ago and served me well.

I always loved wolf jawish tongs as they can grab stuff sideways.... but the different diameter arent kept that strong and have the oppurtunity to bounce in the jaw.

First i thought about shortening one jaw to get a smaller surface on the upper part holding strong against the jaw beyond.

But this would only work with a pretty small amount of stock.

The tongs i have lost was a bit like Pelgroms tong but a bit shorter jaws to achieve more grabbing power. I loved them as they are so multi purposed, but couldn't handle stock sideways.

So i decided to mix both up and form something like a egg-laying-wool-milk-pig.

It's just a prototype out of mild steel but works pretty good so far... takes 8mm round stock to 22 mm square stock propper straight and rectangular.

post-30320-0-13063400-1378623784_thumb.j

post-30320-0-36763200-1378623786_thumb.j

The next set will have the rectangular gap a bit more centered and the bow will also end round about in the middle.

The evacuation of the rectangular gaps are volitional to grab the different stock sizes.

post-30320-0-73227500-1378623782_thumb.j

the upper jaw is slight aslope to get a small surface area.

Maybe there are already those tongs out there, and i did all the thinking for nothing, but it was fun anyway.

and i finaly did my first set of flat jaw tongs also:

post-30320-0-03539300-1378623788_thumb.j

Greetz,

Hannes

Hallo Hannes,

die Zangen sehen gut aus.

Ich mache mir meine auch aus Federstahl (bei gleicher Stabilität weniger Gewicht)

Peter----------------hoffentlich zeigst Du noch mehr

and for our american friends :) :

Hello Hannes,

the tongs looks great

I make my tongs also from spring steel (the same stability by a fewer weight)

Peter----------------hope to see more from you