I Forge Iron

With or without Chimney?

Flying Sparks

Hi Guys

I fired my homebuilt forge up this weekend, I had a few challenges lighting the fire but I think I'm getting there. At first I wanted to run the forge in my integral garage but despite taking precautions I'm a little worried about burning the house down. So now I think I will try running the forge outside and nip back into the garage (or shed) to work over the anvil.
I'm running a flat bottom forge with a grate in the centre based on a design given to by a blacksmith and using coke beans for fuel. My blower is an electric dust extracter fan (lots of blow) and regulator in the input pipe.

My question is if I'm running the forge outside do I need a chimney to create a draw for the fire or can I just build a wind shield around the sides?

Thanks

Sparky.

Give it a go without a chimney and, you'll more than likely, decide to build one. You can get away with it, but at times you'll notice no matter which direction you face that the wind seems bent on the idea of blowing all the smoke directly up your nose. Don' let it stop you from forging, but try to get it in the budget. Do let us know how it turns out though.

Good luck,
James

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I'm undecided what to do, I have taken precautions in the garage like locking away tins of paint and moving things down the other end of the garage. I thought the forge would be the biggest risk, I never thought of hitting the iron causing problems, then those sparks flying everywhere.
I got myself a nice new fire extinguisher and I intend to buy a large fireproof tarpaulin to divide off the garage if I decide to stay in here.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.

Sparky.

If you are worried, then don't do it. Learn to work with the fire and learn how much space is required. Then you can decide on what size space you can use.

Nothing wrong with forging outside. May need a tarp overhead for poor weather, but that is easy.

Show us some photos of your present set up and we can offer better suggestions.

I don't like too much ambient breeze when I demo outside so I made two wind screens from the end of a 55 gallon drum. I simply cut out the bottom and cut that piece in half, then bent those around the periphery of the hearth so there is a half-moon on each side. These not only hold fuel from falling out but also will warm up and act as smoke wicks to help keep smoke out of your face. Not a true chimney but better than nothing.