I Forge Iron

Forge in and AGM 2013 September 28 &29

The Guilds annual AGM and forging weekend will be at Westpoint on September 28th and 29th, The Guild's AGM will be at 11.00am, and a meeting to discuss the forthcoming 2014  International Blacksmithing Festival will be at 3.00pm

Judging for the Frank Day Trophy will take place, so anyone with less than three years experience of the Blacksmiths Craft bring along your pieces and lets see what you have made, There is a £250 prize, and a certificate and a marketing opportunity with your local press. 

Last years winner with his tutor post-816-0-42109000-1378066781_thumb.jpg and his fatherpost-816-0-15298100-1378066668_thumb.jpg

And the trophy itself. post-816-0-18439900-1378066895_thumb.jpg

The weekend is open to all, as is entry for the Frank Day Trophy,not just paid up Guild members, but only paid up members can vote at the AGM.

Buffet style lunch, barbeque or hog roast in the evening and live entertainment from "The Outwood Forgers", bring your own alcohol.

• 4 weeks later...

I will next time. Now I now who you are, I can at least.

Yes I was in the forge right in the corner for a bit. Had a few goes at making some bevelled scrolls and a set of bending forks.

It was pretty warm right in that corner. I was a bit cack handed with the hammer for a while, until I got used to it again. Not really picked up a hammer for over 10 months. Really need to set my forge up again at home.

Hi Tom, Colleeen and all the others who attended, some are also on this site, but did not identify themself. However we had a great turnout, and thanks to all who turned up.

With an anticipated twenty or so indicating/booking for lunch turning into over forty on the day, so the ladies did well, worked a little miracle and kept us all happily fed,

We know it brought a tear to their eyes when they saw the extra numbers, so we presented them with a special award to mark the occasion.

post-816-0-06070300-1380573181_thumb.jpg

It was quite hectic to say the least, and so I did not get many pictures, and the ones I did get are a bit wobbly so apologies.

Here are a couple of pics from participants on the forges.

Tom being in the corner in the first one.

post-816-0-26504000-1380572826_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-81482200-1380572860_thumb.jpg post-816-0-32438400-1380572891_thumb.jpg post-816-0-81082900-1380573796_thumb.jpg

Besides everyone getting together to enjoy themselves, and to share the current finances and happenings of the previous year, the main events are the awarding of trophies, The Frank Day Trophy, and the Audrey Paull Trophy

The Frank Day Trophy is open to any student with three years or less experience of the Craft, and is open to all, not just Guild members,  If there are no worthy pieces, the award is not made, no problems with that this year.

This year there were eight entries to be perused and judged against each other by qualified NBCC Judges, the winner receiving a cheque for £250.00, a Certificate and photo opportunites with the actual Trophy to be used to publicise themselves to help kick start their careers..The trohy was made by some of our Guild Mebers, the main figurine features being mde by Bob Hobbs which went towards the gold medal award he received from the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths

There were some excellent pieces in the contest, the winner entering a traditional sign bracket made on his recent year long course at Hereford College. It was also gratifying that he also attended some of our classes before attending college.

Here he is with his certificate and the Trophy, sorry about the poor quality of the pic.

post-816-0-53536000-1380573048_thumb.jpg

Our other main award is the Audrey Paull Trophy which is a brass version of our Guild Lily, our old logo and test piece, made by one of our members Lu' Back who lived past his 100th birthday, and was an encyclopeadia of knowledge with unparalled experience and character, sorely missed but still in our presence with the skills and knowledge he passed on so unselfishly.

This trophy is awarded to a member who represents all our unsung heroes, the members of the guild who support and work for the guilds promotion and existence without being in the limelight, and who make the Guild what it is.

post-816-0-78927400-1380573118_thumb.jpg  post-816-0-33731400-1380572952_thumb.jpg

There was also good support for our secondary meeting regarding and giving the approval for a proposed International Blacksmithing Festival some of you already know about, it will be going ahead, the dates are August the 13th to16th 2014 to be held at Westpoint , BABA, NBCC, WCB, and our own Guild are all involved, so lets make it a good 'un, book the dates now.

Thanks to all who attended, and apologies if I did not get to speak to you, I was kind of busy.

The next opportunity for a get together is St Clems Day at Finch Foundry, more details later.

Congratulations to young James on winning the trophy.

A very arty sign bracket, which demonstrated a lot of traditional techniques, including fire welding. That lads got a bright future in the craft I think. From what little I know that is!

Didn't realise there was a cash prize though. I'd enter next year, but think its been over three years since my first day on the taster course.

I got very little done at the AGM, other than chatting to nice, like minded people.

It has got me inspired to get my workshop rebuilt though.