I Forge Iron

will this work - Bentley Grillmaster IV

elbadger

Hi all,

I have been trying since spring to find something suitable to make a forge, but unfortunately, no brake drums have come my way.  However, yesterday light may have shined down on me.  At the flea market, I found a Bentley Grillmaster IV portable gas grill (http://www.amazon.com/Bentley-Cast-iron-Gas-charcoal-Grillmaster-Grill/dp/B00BVPGZ0W).  I'm pretty sure it is cast iron and just under a quarter inch thick.  Is anyone familiar with this and would it be worth trying to make a forge out of this?

Thanks for the look,

Kevin

You don't need a fire pot to have a forge.  One of the easiest forges to construct is the 55gallon Forge made from, oddly enough, a 55g drum.  No fire pot at all.

My personal favorite is the ducks-nest style of forge where the heat is concentrated by the smith wetting the coal or using fire bricks to contain and shape the fire.  It's basically nothing more than a table of heavy-gauge metal with a hole in the middle.  The air comes up through the hole (there's a grate to stop coals from falling down).  The majority of the table is covered with fire bricks that I can use to create a bowl over the grate, concentrating the fire how I like for the job.

I'm looking at making a side-blast forge with a flat table I found.  Just need to add some high sides to it, but they can be wood because the heat's so far away.

Vaughn is right, your over thinking this. All you need is hole in the ground. If you can put the peice of ground in a box of some kind all the better. Lets try and expand your thinking. Wooden box, made from 2x10 lumber, bottom third of a 55 gallon drum, old wash tub, old bucket, half an old cross bed tool box, old charcoal grill, old tool box, large ammo can...
All of witch cam be made into side blast forges just stick a piece of pipe in the side 6" or so from the top, fill with dirt, sand or abobe scoop out a hole about the size of bothe your fists together and about 8" deep wear the pipe comes in.
You can also lay bricks to make a hearth, stack bricks up to make a wall with an air hole at the bottom ( can do this with adobe, steel or stone) and pile coal or charcoal against the wall,
If you want bottom draft you can take any of the above containers and put the pipe in the botom, and line it with mud, or weld up a fire pot, or just buy a 6" into 2" black oipe reducer,
Their are a ton of ways to get their. As you progress as a smith you will learn how to make something into something else. How to come at things from all the angles.

Thanks for the recommendations.  For now a 55 gallon drum is out of the question and my wife would kill me if I re-purposed her old washtubs.  The other items aren't really available either.  Also, I don't weld.  This is really my first foray into metal working.

So, working with what I have, the Bentley Grillmaster, any suggestions on how to best make it work?  I'm thinking I would attempt a side air hole and fill the bottom with clay.  Also, should I try lowering a side or two, or just build the clay up to near level with the top?

I would build up. The biggest issue you're going to have is getting the hole in the cast iron. I don't think it's bad persay to use it, just more work than other options. Getting a hold in the cast the size you need without cracking the whole thing is going to be your problem. but it's doable with the right equipment. but as you said, this is your first foray in metal working, so the chances of you actually having the right equipment are slim. but if you know someone who does work with metal they may be willing to help you out for a case of beer and or some manual labor.

That's a good point, ThorsHammer.  I hadn't thought about how I was going to make/enlarge the hole or about it cracking.  The other option I have is that the bottom of the grillmaster has about a 1 1/2" - 2" threaded hole in the center that is what the base screws into.  I suppose I could build up around that.  Otherwise, it looks like I may be back at square one - looking for something suitable.  Considering I haven't made any modifications, I still have a cool, portable, gas grill.

Actually if take the hole in the bottom and run with it. Clay the grill, like you would an old cast forge, make a "ducks nest" a bowl about 6" across, and 6-8" deap. A pipe cap with a 3/4" hole in the top will work, as well as casting a peice of 1/2" (old bolt) in the clay. Fab up a duct and ash dump out of black pipe and your good. Make it at least as big as the hole in the bottom.
Ok, reverse the order. Build the twear first than clay.

Ok, tell you what, get out your measuring tape and give me a length, width, depth and size of the hole in the bottom. Then we can brainstorm with you and help get you hooked up.
On the wife front...
Learn to forge roses ;-)

get us the measurements on the hole and we can go from there. the ducting can be made with thread together pipe fittings that can be purchased at any hardware store so no need for welding at all. Though a weighted ash dump or sliding ash dump is better than a threaded one, but it works if thats all you can do.

I finally got a chance to take some pictures.  The hole for the stand is 1 7/16 - 1 1/2 inches.  We are about to go out to the Home Depot, where I plan on picking up some refractory cement and some 1 1/2" pipe and fittings as well as whatever my wife wants.

I suppose I'll need an anvil at some point, but one thing at a time, eh?

post-2266-0-43485200-1377959985_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-35078900-1377960000_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-93822300-1377960033_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-40289800-1377960042_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-20030700-1377960048_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-37915500-1377960054_thumb.jp

You really don't need stove cement, but if you get some grab - bag a vermiculite ( the puffed mica) thin down the cement and mix in the vermiculite, pack it in he forge then give it a tin coat of unthined. The slag likes to stick to cement so be warned.
Pick up a 20# sledge wile your there and a 2x12 and you have a stump and anvil.

So my quest for refractory cement/fire clay came up empty.  I was able to find black pipe that I hope will work out.  It is 1" inside diameter.  The 1 1/4" was just a hair too big and would have meant cutting on the cast iron.  So, attached are a couple of ideas I have in mind as well as a comparison of the size differences in the pipe.

The first and second pictures are just using the cut off end of a coupler to set the pipe in place.  The third and fourth pictures are an idea I have of using a 90 degree elbow to provide a side blast.  What I don't like about this is how high up the elbow is.  Not a big deal I guess, just add more clay and build up higher, right?  So far, all the pipe and fittings, except one, are in returnable condition.

Oh, and how do I add attachments in-line with my post?

post-2266-0-68261700-1377981257_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-56420000-1377981266_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-39413000-1377981277_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-57144900-1377981286_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-15482100-1377981296_thumb.jp

post-2266-0-46158100-1377981303_thumb.jp

not sure you're going to be able to do it line with the post without going side blast unless the leg/post is open at the bottom. the slide blast means you don't have ash dropping down the pipe. As for getting it inline. Get a fitting that will fit over the post and onto the black pipe fittings you already have. If you can find a T to do this with you'd be the best off. that way you don't need to have a second fitting in there that would increase the height of the forge. Plumb the T to the blower and up into the fire pot. 

I guess I should have mentioned that that was just a mock up of ideas I had for the inside before claying.  I have the T for the air and ash cleanout, they just aren't attached.  The original stand won't be used, so a new one will be built... eventually.  Until then, some cinder blocks or something similar should work.

The ring that is holding the pipe is actually my plan if I go with a bottom blast air.  Which method would work out best: bottom blast or side blast using the elbow?

Just finished my first experimental claying.  Mixed 2 parts play sand, 1 part pearlite, and 3 parts clay cat litter.  Ended up having to make two batches, but the first batch had too much water.  We'll see how it turns out at the end of the week.