I Forge Iron

colonial anvil help

Wondering if any body had any idea of this anvils possible maker and age? I'm thinking this is different than most because it has a little hump on either side at the base almost like two extra legs. The measurements of the face are apx. 5"x11.5 the horn is 5.5" stands about 10" high and weighs 147 pounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

post-44887-0-74361200-1375485570_thumb.j

post-44887-0-39036300-1375485684_thumb.j

Wonderful, classic early colonial anvil. I don't think there's any knowing who made it, but certainly made in England. Age range, again tough, but the stocky proportions and pointed feet are before the triangular feet tips of 1800-1870, so best guess 1700's somewhere, possibly as early as 1600's. The hint of middle feet shows up now and then, some only have it on one side.

Thank you very much 101 HB! that along the lines of what i was thinking. I can't help wondering about the history of this anvil also njanvilman, who made there living with it? where were they located? What was there life like? What did they make? If it could only talk!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...