I Forge Iron

Forge Welding 3rd Hand /// Foot

Jim Coke

Greetings All.

Yet another of my famous ( WHY DID'T I THINK OF THAT )  SHOP TIPS

Trying to weld a small part is sometimes quite a challenge so a few years ago I built a top die for my treadle hammer .

I used an old large ball pien hammer and welded it to a top plate..  The bottom die is just a small removable brick.   The big advantage is the target area and only touching the bottom die with the material until your are ready to strike the weld.. ( no heat loss on the anvil ) It works well for the first set . I normally finish the weld on the anvil.  Flower stems are a breeze.  Just heat and put the stock on the target..  ZAPP

I wish you all well and have fun

Forge on and make beautiful things       Jim

post-30666-0-31572800-1375060276_thumb.j

post-30666-0-91257300-1375060333_thumb.j

post-30666-0-68308000-1375060389_thumb.j

post-30666-0-30584600-1375060435_thumb.j

That is a head slapper of an idea Jim.

I'm making a drop over retainer rim for my LG's new bottom die and this is just the kind of tool it's intended for. changing out the top die is quick but still more hassle than necessary, I'd probably develop a spring tool for the job, maybe with a much smaller bottom die to absorb even less heat.

Maybe we ought to move closer together so whenever one of us got an idea the other can slap him. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

That is a head slapper of an idea Jim.

Maybe we ought to move closer together so whenever one of us got an idea the other can slap him. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

That's pretty funny Frosty !!  and Jim that is a heck of an idea !!

I don't do much forge welding but I may after seeing your idea!

Another recent idea [not mine] was after the pieces are fluxed and up to temp, just touch them together in the forge- they will stick enough to get them out of the fire and continue the weld. I will try this idea, too :)

Dave