I Forge Iron

finished my striking anvil

I started this while the site was down and finally finished it up. While its not very unique I'm happy with the end result. The top is 21" long x 2" thick . The baseplate is 1" thick. The legs are 2" heavy wall tubing filled with sand. The hardy hole is 1 1/8" and was drifted with a torch : / .. I drilled the pritchel hole out and in the wrong spot but i hope itll workout where it is ..if not ill weld it up and move it :) . Thanks to Brian Brazeal and all that have posted theirs in the past for the inspriation.

post-30971-0-57089300-1375056136_thumb.j

post-30971-0-66821200-1375056162_thumb.j

post-30971-0-95717900-1375056191_thumb.j

post-30971-0-03666800-1375056222_thumb.j

post-30971-0-65042300-1375056262_thumb.j

Very Nice.  I just picked up a fork lift tine, and I was planning on doing something similar.  I like the stand you made, and filling it with sand is a great idea.

I might just copy you :)   What did you make yours out of ? 4140, or H13 or something like that ?  And did you harden the face somehow ?  I imagine it would

be pretty soft, especially where you torched out the Hardy hole, unless it's some sort of super duper steel?

Nice Work

-Bruno

Nicely done.  I could see myself using something like that.  The only thing I see that might cause problems is striking with a heavy sledge in the center may cause it to jump.  You may need to run some bracing down the center in the future.  Let us know how it works.

Thank you!!! I agree i stood back when i finished it and thought it could use another brace..

Very Nice.  I just picked up a fork lift tine, and I was planning on doing something similar.  I like the stand you made, and filling it with sand is a great idea.
I might just copy you :)   What did you make yours out of ? 4140, or H13 or something like that ?  And did you harden the face somehow ?  I imagine it would
be pretty soft, especially where you torched out the Hardy hole, unless it's some sort of super duper steel?

Nice Work

-Bruno

Thank you!! I got the sand idea from a post Brian had made. Im using it as a striking anvil to make hammer and such so its just mild steel no hardening at all . I torched the hole because i dont have help to lift n carry it back n forth from the forge to heat though i did think about building a movable gas burner forge to set on top of the bar and just move the forge on and off as needed lol
.but took the easy route but it was a filing nightmare...so easy wasnt so easy. Copy away my friend cuz thats exactly what i did lol