I Forge Iron

scrap yard near raleigh nc

Bish's Scrap Metal just outside Siler City off of Old Hwy 421 which is about 35-45 min from Raleigh.  There phone number is 919-663-3336.  It just depends on what they have when you go but they do sell to the public and I have found some useful stuff there.  Also very friendly staff.  Hope this helps.....

I can second Bish as a good source. My wife takes me every year on our anniversary.  :D

You can also try J&D (http://www.jdrecyclers.com/) just west of Durham. They might be a little closer to you.

I'll check with my contacts closer to the Raleigh area and post back if I find any other options.

Good luck,

Doug Wilson

Sam,

I know that many of the local smiths in and around Raleigh go to J&D's for stuff.  If you aren't a member yet, com to the Raleigh state fair grounds on Saturday the 24th for out every-other-month meeting.  we will be setting up the shop there for the upcoming state fair.

paul

Sam, to revisit this, I stopped by J&D's today.  They have a small supply of just about anything, but it is haphazard.  you get what's there.  They have an assortment of mild and stainless steel, aluminum and a bunch of whatever anybody is trading in as scrap for cash.  currently charging about .50/lb for the steel, although you may haggle a bit.  They do have some new stock but you pay new prices.  the place is kinda like a flea market for metal.