I Forge Iron

Where did it go? (little skinner)

Ok, I forged up this little skinner for a guy.  I had the bright idea of slipping a file in the center on the final weld in that Japanese tradition.  The two pieces were 1/4 and 17 or so layers.  I figured the file would really show up.  It disapeared.  Did it just forge out that thin or did the two outside pieces just overlap and cover it?  I did it for two reasons, first the higher carbon center core in theory would hold and edge better and the 3rd weld never takes.  I figured the lower carbon banding was being  lost to scaling and the saw blades alloy wouldn't weld together.

005-4.jpg002-5.jpg

I haven't been making this style long enough to get a good test comparison.  I'd expect the blade/banding combo to have about the edge holding as 1060.  Not the best, thus the addition of the file (1095?) for the cutting edge.  The others I've made took an edge real easy.  I need to bring some boxes home as I can't seem to round up any roap for cutting indurance test.