I Forge Iron

Stuck fan

123samic

Hi I'm in the middle of restoring a forge blower but have run into a slight problem, the fan is rusted onto the shaft and I cant remove it . if you guys have any advise it would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Sam

WD-40

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40®—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today. Reference

Liquid Wrench

Since 1941 Liquid Wrench has been making premium lubricating, penetrating and protecting products  Frees stuck nuts, bolts and locks. Dissolves rust and cuts through grease. Quickly penetrates corrosion. Use on garden hose nozzles, clamps, pipes and frozen mechanisms.

You want to displace water or penetrate corrosion.?  Your call

More internet research on the issue yields

PB Blaster.
This stuff WORKS. And if it doesn't work - then you didn't spray enough or let it sit long enough. And if it still doesn't work - then spray it again.

Kroil
Kroil's high solvency penetrating oils first penetrate to one-millionth inch spaces to break the bond of rust and to provide lubrication at the first molecular level. This frees the frozen metal part.

There are other products out there as well as home brews that can be used. It did not rust and lock up in seconds, so go slow and let whatever you use have time to work..

Greetings 123.

Everyone has their favorite brew for freeing up stuck parts...  Rust is rust and unless you can get the lube to the rust it will take a very long time...

I have restored tons of old machines and found a small amount of heat and tapping the area that is frozen will compress the rust and allow for material to do its job..  Apply cold after tapping the stuff will ignite..   Don't beat it just taps .  On big stuff I use pneumatic hammers..  Always works...

Good luck

Jim

Agreeing with Jim, if you use heat, like a propane or Mapp torch, try to concentrate the flame on the collar of the fan and keep it off the shaft as much as possible. Any little bit of expansion you can get will help break it loose.