I Forge Iron

MIG tip accelerator and nozzle

steamingspud

Hello again,

I'm almost finished with a two-burner forge, and I'm gonna check through some stuff before I fire it up next week.

I've included pictures of the MIG tips I used on the burners I made. These were scrap from our old welding "never-use-again" pile, but they should suffice. The rear part of these is a threaded sleeve that was part of where the gasses mixed on what this came off of. While the assembly is gone, that last piece has a tapered hole in it the same size as the front nozzle. Saying it simple, the propane will end up going through one 0.035 hole, expands, then goes through another hole the same size. I'm not sure what this will do as an accelerator, but do you think this will make or break the burners? I figured I'd try it first, and if it doesn't work I'll drill out that part for a larger hole.

Another kinda junky part of my burners, I used stainless steel threaded sleeves and ripped out the threads on the nozzle end. There's a slight taper, but it ain't pretty. Will having a not-so-perfect nozzle be drastic to forge performance? 

Thanks for the input guys. It's a totally different ballgame than a coal forge, I'll say that...

Matt P.

Essayons

post-41288-0-32680500-1371932927_thumb.j

post-41288-0-19639500-1371932932_thumb.j

post-41288-0-98090900-1371932935_thumb.j

post-41288-0-47149500-1371932939_thumb.j

Welcome aboard Matt, if I haven't said so already, Heck even if I have. First I have to tell you your Avatar puts a smile on me every time I see it. <grin>

Okay the topic. I see you've read Mike Porter's burner book, good. He's the only guy I know who calls the mig tip jets accelerators. What they do is smooth the flow considerable which does accelerate it a bit but that's not their primary function. the "sleeve" is a coupler, not a mixing chamber, lose it if you can. the threads on the tips should be 1/4"x28  the coupler was to make the transition from the sleeve in the wire/gas line to the mig tip non grabby. It's definitely an old machine, I don't think they use the couplers anymore.

Don't worry, it'll work just fine so long as the propane flows it's good Mikey thinks the mig tips are accelerators but they're main function is to generate a laminar (smooth) gas flow so the expanding cone of propane is as smooth and effective as possible. the expanding cone of gas entrains combustion air by generating a low pressure zone in the tube. the smoother and more uniform the cone of propane the more effective the entrainment.

Okay, ain't that more than you wanted to know. I can't help myself, I get wordy.

In short, even if those old contact tips won't work right, they're cheap at the local welding supply, in the neighborhood of $1.00 here in Wasilla Alaska where everything gets barged, or flown in and trucked out from Anchorage. Your burners look fine but will need some tuning. Give me a shout, we'll get em burning a treat for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha, caught me on Porter's book! It was good material, but he didn't leave room for innovation... a drawing with dimensions would have been much easier.

I noticed our equipment doesn't use those couplers either, so I've heard they're out of style.

Thanks, I should be firing it up either this week or the next, so I'll take you up on that tuning!

Well Yeaahhh you made a Porter type V burner, what's to catch? Mikey's also the only person I know who calls mig contact tips accelerators rather than nozzles. Of course a nozzle accelerates the flow as well as making it linear. Ron, Mike and I have been friends for years. <wink>

Neither Mike nor Ron think a person needs modify their design, they've spent so much time and effort getting them just right. They have a point their plans work as well as the design is likely to work. I just have a little better handle on guys in garage shops making do with what they have. I also make a far simpler burner, it isn't as efficient as Mike's but it's sure easier to make and once tuned it'll melt the fire brick under the flame, so it'll do for me.

Once you get to tuning it, pics are super helpful, I can judge what's going on and you can learn my burner vocabulary. A pic showing the door from the side so I can see what the dragon's breath looks like. The other helpful angle is straight into the forge so I can see the burner flame. You've already provided a good shot of the overall forge and burner so those aren't going to help tuning unless you change something significant, say burner alignment on the forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 7 months later...

Frosty;   Do you happen to know the difference in cunsumption of fuel between the "T" burner and the Porter burner? I have built a few porter burner's and it is rather laborious. I used no s.s. flare(12:1) on my last burner because it will be in a confined space just a straight iron pipe.

I tried to upload a video but it wont let me