I Forge Iron

Possible 2nd Anvil

Hi All,

Looking for some further information on this anvil... next size up from my baby anvil and with a nicer face (although still a little dinged by the looks of it)

Has 1 2 . 12 or maybe 1 . 2 . 12 stamped on the side. I gather thats the weight but couldn't remember how that is worked out?

Attached some photos for you to have a look at. Have asked the seller for some further information as it looks like a makers mark is stamped on the side.

Thanks,

Tim

post-29379-0-26971000-1371376530_thumb.jpost-29379-0-98036600-1371376532_thumb.jpost-29379-0-50518600-1371376536_thumb.j

Im not greatly schooled in anvils but that looks to me like it could be an old mousehole. Even if its not thats a good looking anvil and u should pick it up if the price is right. My girlfriends uncle has a similar looking anvil but in much poorer condition.
The Mad Rabbit

Ahh that doesn't have the fat waist or sharp feet like a mouse hole.  It does look to have the flats on the front and back of the feet that Peter Wrights' did.

The old english CWT system has:  first number from the left x 112, middle number x 28 and can only be 0-3 and last number is the risidual and must be under 28.  Based on the old "stone" weight where one stone was 14 pounds.  Only used by English makers AFAIK

I just checked out the listing. Your first image has a stamp on it which says "best patent wrought" with "warranted" underneath.

Looks like some kind of wright anvil. Probably a Peter wright. Though I don't know if the Henry wright anvils had those distinctive feet as well mate? Either way, worth going for in my opinion.

It's a good weight too. You can shift that by yourself just about and it's plenty big enough to be your main shop anvil.

All the best
Andy

I just checked out the listing. Your first image has a stamp on it which says "best patent wrought" with "warranted" underneath.

Looks like some kind of wright anvil. Probably a Peter wright. Though I don't know if the Henry wright anvils had those distinctive feet as well mate? Either way, worth going for in my opinion.

It's a good weight too. You can shift that by yourself just about and it's plenty big enough to be your main shop anvil.

All the best
Andy

Thanks everyone! Information given very much appreciated! Reckon it probably is a wright anvil of some sort.

Will see what happens, still buying on a budget but as you say Andy it looks like a decent size for what I need so hopefully can work something out.

Stick the wee one back on eBay. The beauty of them is they will never loose value. ;)

Did think about that, but having it sitting there means its less easy to spend than cash in the wallet and like you say it wont loose any value! Was also thinking it would make a good anvil to take to shows for display work when I get to that stage.

Plus it looks like I might have made a bit of a deal on this bigger one anyway :D will report back tomorrow evening!

Well it would have been rude not to, plus he twisted my arm so ended up having to take on an oak anvil stand, several tongs a nice square faced hammer and a two burner gas forge B) :rolleyes:

Who needs a budget?! It was all at a very good price and to be fair the forge is going to a friend, even I cant justify having two gas forges at the same time right now!

Picking it all up tonight so will get some pics up later on or tomorrow.

Well I finally got around to taking some photos. So here is the new addition to the workshop. Certainly a massive improvement over the baby anvil and its already paid for its self. So all in all I am a very happy chappy! The face is better than I thought and I am sure whats there will polish out with use anyway. Think it is a Peter Wright although cant see any makers mark on it, has a nice ring to it but been silenced after fixing it down properly with a couple of bits of angle iron bolted across the feet. Couldnt believe how much quieter it became from just doing that.

The tools arent bad either. Really nice working with a 3lb hammer, currently seeing what the Hofi technique is all about. The hammer also has a slot at the top of the handle which is meant to reduce shock, no idea if it works but havent seen that before.

post-29379-0-96607300-1371851408_thumb.jpost-29379-0-48096600-1371851413_thumb.jpost-29379-0-86890800-1371851398_thumb.j