I Forge Iron

Die grinder

I have an electric Makita die grinder, and it almost scares the wee wee out of me. I use it and it is handy, but I use it with supreme caution. I move it from right to left when pressing down. When going the other direction, it is grabby.

I always wear a face shield and EAR MUFFS, because little steel chips come flying off. They are swarf-like and I do not want them in my ears.

The tungsten carbide burrs can break, so take it easy.

It is a high rpm machine.

Sayings and Cornpone

"Hand tools hurt; power tools maim." This little saying is not perfectly true, but it gives pause for thought.

Never use single cut burrs. The chips/SHARDS these produce have sharp pointy ends which are nothing but trouble. Double cut burs make granular chips which you still want to keep out of your eyes but won't make you need to change your underware..... ;)

I like die grinders for tight spot finish work and controled grinding. We keep a Mikata in the rack with the hand held grinders.  You should be wearing eye protection and the full face shield when operating these things.

It's a good tool but they are tricky to use. They require a steady hand and you have to be careful about the chips they throw.  As an advisory, the chips migrate from everywhere they land, your clothes, beard, hair etc. They accumulate like drifted snow on surfaces near the project. These chips are sharp, jagged and prone to flight so whenif  you are using air tools be extra careful.  Also, take note when shaking out your jacket, cover or cleaning off the bench.  I have been to the eye doc to have these things extracted and it is not fun nor is it cheap. 

Peter