I Forge Iron

Sledge

A little more than my shoulder width-didn't bother to measure it-just the right length for me. Just a hair under 6 pounds. I like a 6 pound sledge-for me, it's the perfect weight. I get a lot of control, but can put a bit of power into the swing when I need to. When I was 20 or so I cut firewood for a living-the other guys used a 8 pound maul, I used a 6. I cut and split 4 full cords a day (hardwood), they did 3. As a friend says "Mark can hit harder than the average bear"-comes from splitting a LOT of wood-you learn to get efficient with your swing, and learn how to pack a bit of punch in the blow..

Nice. I recently dug up (literally) a Sledge hammer head in my back yard. Not sure how old it was, but it was pretty pitted up and weighed a little over 6#. I cleaned it up, polished out the pits, shaped it to my liking, heat treated it and put a 2' handle in it. haven't had a chance to strike with it yet, but I like the way it feels in my hands. After the repairs, it is almost exactly 6#, not counting the handle.

Nice looking piece of work Mark. Splitting wood certainly gives a person practice hitting the mark with a full measure of power doesn't it?

Even though I am, or was, a crack shot with a sledge I haven't been able to bring myself to take a full bore over the shoulder blow on one of my anvils. Yeah, I'm a sissy I know.

That's a beaut, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.