I Forge Iron

Howdy from Fredericksburg VA

ARKtest

Howdy all, I picked up a hammer and started smashing, now I can't get enough. A friend and I have been working on making our own smithy while I learn from an experienced blacksmith/wheelwright/farrier. I enjoy reading on the site and figured it was time to introduce myself.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you might be surprised to find how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Sounds like you've got the bug; smithing is addictive and a side effect is tool and material collecting. It won't be long before your friends will get used to you slamming on the brakes, jumping out of the car/pickup and pickig up scrap steel laying in the ditch OR hollering fot THEM to slam on the brakes so YOU can jump out and salvage such wonderful valuta. Oh yeah, it may take a while but your friends and family will get used to you blowing black boogers too.

It's all part and parcel with the craft. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome  to the addiction!  Sounds like you have a mentor and are off to a good start.  I'm in the 'burg too and have a little smith set up behind my house.  Nothing fancy, but I have a lot of fun with it.  What are you using for a forge?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm always wanting to meet and work with other smiths, and being that my mentor is unavailable for an uncertain amount of time with work orders, I would love to come by and play in the fire with you if you'll have me.

As far as the forge goes its a home made brake drum forge, pictures and info to come later.

That meeting sounds like a good time,I'll see if I have the day off.

The 4th of July sounds like a great time as well, but unless something changes I might be demoing at a fair with Pete. If anything changes I'll let you know.