I Forge Iron

Yes but it won't be as effective as making a side draft smoke hood out of it. Simply lower it till it's resting on the forge table and then take a pair of tin snips and cut an opening on the fire side like a small "living room" fire place.

Frosty The Lucky.

Go watch Daniel Lea My Forge on youtube:

He's got what you describe (see about 1:38 in the vid). It seems to work.

I'm with Frosty, tho on side-draft. Note: make the opening no bigger than the cross section of your ducting. You've got about 113 sq in to play with. Something about 10"x10" would work well. The reason for this is that you want a high velocity here to "pull in" the smoke.

Eric

I posted this awhile back:
I couldn't manage to find any metal fab shops that would take on such a small job as cutting sheet metal for making my Super-Sucker side draft hood. Then one day at work at our office I saw an ancient, dinged up 2-drawer filing cabinet that was being tossed out....and the lights came on! The back/top was ideal and just needed liberated with an angle grinder & cut-off wheel! I I drew out lines for the height and angled sides, made the cuts...and presto! All it needed was the frame around the front and round hole cut in the top. This solved a lot of worry over cutting, bending, & welding the main box.

Frosty gave great advice. See plans for Super-Sucker. The description above works tremendously good...and is *one* way to address your needs.

• 3 weeks later...