I Forge Iron

Solved! Partners (wives) who don't want anvils in the house

Friends, I've found a solution to a problem that a number of you appear to have discussed in the past... How do you get your better half to allow you to keep that special anvil (antique or collectors piece) in the house?

Allow me to introduce you to the concept of a 'kitchen anvil':

My wife did a bunch of baking over the Christmas holidays. Some of those goodies were done as gifts, and were also done at the last minute. When my wife was having a mini-nervous breakdown over getting these pans of baked goods to cool in time to take them with us to a dinner, I had the idea of putting them in the shop on top of an anvil.

The effect of that large of a mass of cold steel, just sucks the heat out of anything, quickly!

And again last night, my sister-in-law dropped off a large tray of lasagna for us. It was too hot to go straight into the fridge, and would have taken too long to cool on the counter before bedtime. But, after an hour sitting on a cold anvil, it was plenty cool enough for the fridge.

Give it a try, and you may find that your partner is far more willing to consider having a large chunk of steel kicking around the house!

Cheers,
Neil

Ooooh, you ARE a sly character Neil! I like you. <grin>

I'm afraid Deb wouldn't go for it even if I weren't the cook in the family. I use 1/2 sheet pans to cool and thaw on, they're heavy gauge aluminum and make really efficient radiators. A pie cools to slicing temp in about half an hour and frozen chops are thawed in about 1 1/2 hours, a pound of burger in under an hour.

I Do like the idea of a kitchen anvil though, one would be really handy for making cube steak and cubing chicken for chicken Kiev, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not quite on topic but the older daughter, who has little use for tools and metal ("he took up metal!?!, Wood wasn't LOUD enough?") did need a heavy weight to press some flowers. In from the shop comes the foot long section of full sized RR track.

Nice flat base, easy to grab. Metal in the house!

I just bring it in if the better half throws a fit about it , I tell her to carry it out her self  that wont happen ;) and she uses my lil anvil just as much as I do when cooking and Prepping food and many other things . Good Compromise with us .

Sam

I just bring it in if the better half throws a fit about it , I tell her to carry it out her self  that wont happen ;) and she uses my lil anvil just as much as I do when cooking and Prepping food and many other things . Good Compromise with us .

Sam

Oh you are a brave man Sam. Deb has ways of exerting pressure far exceeding the weight of an anvil, even a coyote catch.

Frosty The Lucky.

I had my youngest son bring my broke face 125 up to the house after I polished horn and face to a mirror finish for jewelry work, well that lasted about a week and then it was back out on the patio to once again gather a fine coat of rust. My beloved didn't like the fact that all the male dogs in the house decided it was as good a fire hydrant to them. Yeah, when a wife wants to exert pressure there just ain't no stopping them from getting their way, not in a mean way either.