I Forge Iron

Bradley 40Lb Power Hammer Info??

hey guys. i'm new here on the forums. My name is mike spangler and i'm a bladesmith. I've been looking to get an old bradley power hamme ri have up and running. I was wondering if anyone had any info, or anyone has a hammer nad can give me some tips and the set-up thanks a lot

Hey Mike, you found IFI!

When you do get any info, let me know and I can head down and help you get it up and running. I've got a lot of tools, and can forge replacement hardware and parts if they're not made of stock big enough that they need a power hammer in the first place. I know most old bradley hammers were in two styles an upright helve style, with a heafty wooden helve arm driven by a wheel with a wide belt + idler tension wheel, and a compact style which is much like the little giant in construction. I believe from your talking this last weekend that yours is the helve style correct?

On the other hand if you cant find more info on fixing it... I've got a truck, and Derrick Wulf has a 50lb dewpy on a trailer already, I'm sure he wont miss it since he's got that nice air hammer already in his shop !! >_

• 7 months later...

hey guys.... just bumping this up.... i'm about to finally get this thing working... i think

any suggestions on what size motor? i have the old manual on the guided helve hammers HP requirements but not the normal helve hammer. i figure they say the 30# is 2HP and the 50 is 3HP and 75 is 3HP, should i figure 2 horse for the 40? or 2.5 maybe?

let me know what you guys think. thanks

I would get some advice from someone with experience of these helve hammers, dont just go on my gut feeling.!! Threre was a guy over on Forgemagic who fully rebuilt one of these. It would be worth asking over there!

remember the old adage 'penny wise, pound foolish' when it comes to spending that extra $100 :)

Mike, when you get to working on the hammer, let me know and I can drive down and give you a hand if you want. You've had the darned thing for a as long as I've had my shop and it's always been a "future project" for you, but now I'm impatient to see it up and running ! I'd love to have a "project hammer" myself, but my treadle hammer and fly press will do for now till I can get a power hammer.

Also a 2 horse motor should be sufficient for the 40lb helve at least from having watched other hammers go for sale. I've seen a couple 50lb helves being run by 2HP motors, though they were not bradleys, but I'd imagine that it takes around the same to run the bradley as the others I've seen.

Bradley were industrial grade hammers and were over engineered and underrated for actual fall weight of the hammer assembly. The motors probably would have been slightly oversized to be sure they would do the work in an industrial setting and being used on slightly over capacity stock;-) Good luck should be nice well mannered little hammer for you once you get everything line up properly... ;-)