I Forge Iron

I am curious as to whether or not this guy really thinks that this is a "really nice anvil" or if he is just ripping people off.

"BLACKSMITH ANVIL 110 lbs. Hardened Tempered Steel" on eBay Tools, Tools, Hardware Locks, Collectibles

It's the same anvil that they have for less and $100 at Harbour Freight (yeah the one with the ugly skin, soft face, and horrible horn). People are bidding well over $100 bucks plus 60 something for shipping, but maybe he really thinks he found a nice anvil and that's why he started the bidding at $131. Kind of wish I could warn the bidders, but their ID is hidden and plus it's really none of my business. Bothers me that someone is going to pay good money for a crappy anvil that they could of paid $100 less for (probably way more since there are like two days left on the auction).

I know how you feel but you can't keep people from sending money to Nigeria either.

He's probably setting the price at $131 to covr shipping to his place plus a minimum profit.

It's a buyer beware world no matter where you go.

"The previous owner of the house left them behind", "They're still in their wrapper"

Oh please, do we really look that stupid.

Jake, just.... Ask the seller a question.

Is it the same anvil that they have for less than $100 at Harbour Freight?

Any questions I've ever asked appear at the bottom of the listing so there's your warning. I'd ask, but I've never heard of Harbour freight nor have any idea whether the anvil is carp or not. I don't want to look the goose if in fact they are the best anvils ever made.

Just so you know, that guy has been selling those "few anvils left behind" for quite some time. I know at least a year. Must have been a whole pile of them. Same listing, same picture, everything. I wouldn't buy it, just on the fact that it LOOKS like crap.

There is an interesting write up of these ASO's over on anvilfire. It's a good article, worth the time to read.

Later,

aaron

In defense of the little anvils....they make great 1 1/8" hardy holders (or the metric equivilant) if you can find one that has the hardy hole oriented the RIGHT way. And they make ESPECIALLY wonderful "let your little brother, who even though he is a mechanic has the hammer control of a chimpanzee, use it for banging on hot steel" type anvils.

And yes, the guy is ripping people off in a major way. I don't know him, but based on what he is trying to pull with those anvils... I'd almost wager that some of those "buyer's comments" were posted by him, speculatively speaking. And don't bother wasting your breath Jake, he'll probably just ignore your message.
-Aaron @ the SCF