I Forge Iron

Nathan Robertson hammer class

This past weekend I attended the BAM comference where Nathan taught a hammer making class. there was 11 students and we all got to chose the size and style of hammer we made. He was an excellent teacher and we all had a ton of fun and went home with very high quality hammers as well as the knowledge to make more in the future. Attached is a picture of me striking, the hammer I made. Also in the picture is a Tom Clark 2.5 lb hammer I bought there.

facebook_-1022901780_zpsa9c33363.jpg

IMG161_zps4e56f672.jpg

The hammer you're striking is a turning hammer right? The swage block had me wondering till I zoomed in. The Tom Clark straight pein looks like a sweety. I LOVE a straight pein. Heck, I love a turning hammer too. You're batting two for two in  my book.

Frosty The Lucky.

We used 1045, Nathan had pre cut pices in 4oz increments starting around 1.75lb and going up to 3lb. I chose 2.75lb. Heated to non magnetic quinched in water, then heated the center of the hammer until the ends were a dark straw color. I might bring it to work and check the hardness just to see what I ended up with.