I Forge Iron

A little help with this anvil, please???

Hi folks,
I found this anvil for sale but I cannot recognize the stamp on it. I am not an expert but it doesn't look a high quality one to me. The guy asks for 400 but I still don't know sizes and weight. Anyone can help me?

Thanks guys

Francesco

post-40283-0-97912100-1367978087_thumb.j

post-40283-0-66973700-1367978102_thumb.j

post-40283-0-11656900-1367978119_thumb.j

Yes the larger is a Trenton made in Columbus Ohio, probably from the 20s based on the logo with the N looking like a X. The smaller looks like a Vulcan, possibly a Fisher. If you can look at the bottom edge under the horn there should be some numbers on the Trenton usually Fisher put their name there. The Trenton appears to be in great shape, the smaller one is decent.
Id estimate the Trenton to be around 125-150 lbs based one the furniture dolly its sitting on, guess at best. You need to get the weights.

Greetings Zan,

Sure looks like a Trenton With an x BUT the Trentons  with an X were built in the 30s and would have a belt line weld with a complete tool steel top.  If you had a closer picture of the logo it would help...  I'll bet its a Trenton import ... It looks skinny at the waist..

Jim

A little research in AIA confirms late 30s. The good thing about a later date is it will have the whole top half made of tool steel and welded as Mr Coke said. No top plate debonding to worry about. The weight should be stamped on the l/h edge of the base under the horn and the serial number will be on the r/h side. Can narrow down the date it was made from the s/n. About the only way it could be damaged is from abuse, which is not the case, or by odd chance was in a fire and the temper was changed. The ball bearing test would help test for this.
Even if its only 100lb still good price!

One quick thing to learn about anvils is good ones for a fair price sell quickly. I suspect the guys that buy and sell alot of anvils keep some cash, little hammer to ring test and a wire brush handy cause you never know where you might see one.