I Forge Iron

what about this anvil? Help!

I'm thinking about buying this anvil, the price would be OK if that anvil is not a "fake", which I doubt if that anvil was used and seeing it's present condition (like pristine). and also seems too well made to be a fake.

but i'm still wondering about it's make.

post-5790-0-51841400-1367822680_thumb.jp

post-5790-0-14786400-1367822700_thumb.jp

If it is a fake, then it is the very best fake that I have ever seen. The finish looks way better than 99.9% of the low grade cast iron imports that show up around here, in line with the best new (real) cast steel anvils. Typical ASO's have very rough sand impressions and casting lines, with little to no fettling to spruce them up beyond bondo and paint.

Yes, it looks to be cast, but it may be a good casting, of high quality workmanship and metal. Eastern Europe and Turkey are producing some good products at a reasonable price. I just can't find an image of anything with mounting lugs in any current catalog.

Looks to be a Fisher to me judging by the bolt ears. If you'll ship it to me I'll test it and leave it to you in my will. <hopefully inncocent look>

On a serious note (dragged from ME with hot tongs.) I'd buy it in a heartbeat, if the price were reasonable and within reasonable distance to inspect, pick up or ship. Fishers are high carbon steel faced on a cast iron (a steel mold is why there are no sand marks) body, quiet and high quality. I've been keeping my eyes open for one I could afford for years. A couple have come up but have been snatched up very quickly. <sigh> Heck, Tristan (TeenyTinymetal guy) got one of them, I've had the priveledge of using it, she's a joy to work on.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a pristine FISHER exactly like yours.  This model had the mounting lugs moved to the outsides, not under the main part of the anvil.  I believe it was during the Crossley era that this was done.  Yours is only the third one of this design that I have seen.  I think that anvil is the real thing.  Interesting that it was thought of so highly as to move it over 5000 miles.  You will probably not find any markings on the anvil.  Just check that it has the steel faces.  I would grab it if it was in the USA.  Remember, there have been no Fisher anvils made in 34 years, and there will probably never will be again.

Matei: NJanvilman knows what he's talking about, he has a Fisher Norris museum and has been collecting the things for lord knows how long. I was offering an educated guess, I'd take his opinion to the bank.

Frosty The Lucky.

in theory, the anvil is reserved until my friend by whom I'm communicating with the seller will send the money to him (but surprises could arise, it already happened to me). I try to not consider it mine until I'll see it in my workshop...

I could only hope that NJanvilman is right, that would be quiet something to find a Fisher in such condition, especially to my reach.

@NJanvilman - so, it could have no markings and be a real Fisher?

The paper lable was on Fisher anvils in the 1950's. When Crossley made the Fisher anvils in the 1960's and 1970's, they rarely had any markings. By the end of production in 1979, there were no markings on any of their anvils.

That is a Fisher anvil. As I stated above, I have one of these exact anvils in my museum. I have seen one other at some time in the past on EBAY(I think).

Fisher production in the companies history was over 500,000 units. They made several major changes over the years. I have examples of most of them. However, there are still new example turning up now and then. Fisher also made custom units. Some of these seem to be "one off" models. I have a few, and am still chasing a few others out in the wild.

I again repeat my invite to the blacksmithing community and to IFI to contact me for a visit if near NJ, USA sometime. No one has ever visited and not gone away impressed and more knowledgeable about Fisher.