I Forge Iron

Practical blacksmithing

Occasionally when I am describing my use of blacksmithing to others I say that it is another tool in my tool box to go along with carpentry, welding, machining, foundry, etc. It gives me options that I would otherwise not have to make what I need. Plus I am all the time carrying what I am working on over to my post vice because it is my biggest strongest vice. Likewise when I need to center punch or flatten something I often go to the anvil.

Also I occasionally enjoy the irony of using blacksmithing methods to make lathe tools for precision machining work.

I forged the sissy bar and fender supports for my motorcycle, the fun part is that i did it in the school parking lot because I did not have anyplace to set up at the time. My initial attempt a few years ago was to cold form the half inch round stock bar...meaning that I bent it around a tree and beat it into shape against a curb. The problem was that there wasn't enough "meat" around the hole I had to drill for mounting. I flattened the ends of my supports and re drilled them after metal fatigue took it's natural course. Most of the custom pieces on my bike have been smitted into shape. I am so glad to have a decent tool kit now.

Dick Pitts

I forged the sissy bar and fender supports for my motorcycle, the fun part is that i did it in the school parking lot because I did not have anyplace to set up at the time. My initial attempt a few years ago was to cold form the half inch round stock bar...meaning that I bent it around a tree and beat it into shape against a curb. The problem was that there wasn't enough "meat" around the hole I had to drill for mounting. I flattened the ends of my supports and re drilled them after metal fatigue took it's natural course. Most of the custom pieces on my bike have been smitted into shape. I am so glad to have a decent tool kit now.

Dick Pitts

Why am I not surprised to read this story Dick? I think the only thing that WOULD surprise me is if you  let something minor like not having the "proper" kit stop you.

Here's to walking the Glory Road.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm doing more lately but not a lot. I finally finished a new set of flat dies for the 50lb. Little Giant and am having fun getting a handle on it. I'm still getting back from the accident, vision, eye/hand, etc. are still off but I'm adapting.

Do you have your gear set up? The last pics I saw looked like you'd found a nice kit, putting it to use I hope. Does Leah have hobbies? Deb spins, finally had to start learning to  knit we were running out of room to put yarn and works at a dog training facility now. Maybe Deb and Leah will keep each other entertained while you and I punish some innocent steel.

I still have the old forge but haven't lit it in years, I think you'll like the newer one.

You're enrolled at the School of Mines aren't you? How do you like Denver? I like the front range, all the fossil shops and rock hounding. Cool place.

Frosty The Lucky.