I Forge Iron

Wheels at the Vaal 2007

Wim

Hi all you Blacksmiths
Great news is that Wheels at the Vaal is coming up soon. Last year we had so much fun and it was great to work together on one project. From beginner to pro we worked liked a well oiled machine. I believe we were all surprise and very happy with the finished product. So, what's up for this year?

Date: 31 Aug to 2 Sept 2007 .

Venue: Pukke Campus on the Vaal River, Vanderbijlpark

I have a few suggestions for the weekend. The organizers are very keen to have us back and promised us the same spot as last year. The University is playing a greater roll in the organiza tion of the event and promised that it will be bigger and better. They don't have any suggestions of what we can or should make. It's all up to us. I think whatever we decide on, should be first traditionally made and assembled. Not have hundreds of the same components. Be simple enough to make and complete in 2 days but with enough place to ad decoration / texture. With this in mind I was thinking of a chair fit for a king. Like a throne. When you sit in this chair it should feel like the world belongs to you. Let me know what you all think. Feel free to make other suggestions.

The next question is what to do with the final product? I was thinking that everyone involved (all the blacksmiths and helpers, sponsors and organizers) names goes into a hat and the lucky person takes its home. With the understanding that the lucky person name won't go into the hat for the next couple of years! Also what do you think?

Last thing. In the last year I have been doing a lot of industrial work for Mital Steel. I have asked the guys if it will be possible for us to do a tour of one of their plants on Friday 31 August. We can take leave for the day and meet around 10 or 11 am and see how they make steel

• 4 weeks later...

Great times await us at Wheels at the Vaal this year. We are now less than 3 weeks away and I can't wait. The date is 31 Aug to 2 Sept 2007. For all the new comers, I will quickly run through the basics.
The show takes place at the Pukke campus in Vanderbijlpark. We will be camping on the banks of the Vaal river next to our working area. Make sure that you are prepared for the cold. Temperatures can go down to freezing during the night. Saturday and Sunday will be spent working on our throne fit for a blacksmith. The design will be finalized in the next week. Don't worry if you do not have any blacksmithing experience. There is more than enough work for everyone and it will be your garuanteed ticket to fall in love with the art of working with hot metal. Food arrangements still has to be finalized with the organizers, but it will be up to us to prepare our own food (braai). We will need a volunteer or 2 to help in this regard.
Now for the Mittal plant visit. I have been twisting Dave Bischoff's arm to help me arrange the visit. At the moment everything seems to be on track. Mittal needs a list of Names an ID no. of those interested to take part in the site visit. Can I get this info ASAP. I want to forward this info to Dave on Friday morning (17 Aug 2007 before 9:30 am). If you name is not on the list you may well miss out. If you are still not sure if you can make it, I would suggest that you put your name on the list in any case. If there are specific things in the plant that you would like to see, please let me know. We still have time to let Mittal know what we want to see.
Let the sparks keep the passion alight!
Blacksmith Greetings
Coenraad

If you are coming to the Wheels on the Vaal event, you are welcome to bring stuff, tools, materials, forged objects to sell or swop with the other guys attending. We come from all corners of the country, and what may be available in abundance on the countryside could be a rarety to us suburban fellows, and vice versa.
You may pick upo a few nice tools, or make a few bucks.

Let me know, if you are coming.
Wim

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn, This weekend we are gonna have a whale of a time.:D We are expecting about 20 smiths, will have 4 forges, 6 or 7 anvils and 4 legvices. We are making a throne, worthy of a blacksmith, the king of all tradesmen,:rolleyes: using only traditional forge techniques.
Please can you set up a folder for us to post pictures, which will be coming in early next week?

Thanks, Wim.

South Africa, Wheels on the Vaal
Go to IForgeIron.com > Gallery > Blacksmithing Events > 2007

When you get to
Choose a category to upload your images to.
Pick a category that relates most to your image(s).
Use the pull down menu and choose Blecksmithing events, then South Africa, wheels on the Vaal.

You may post as many photos as you wish from the event as there is no limit on the folder.

Hi all you Blacksmiths
It's nearly TIME!!! WHEELS AT THE VAAL!!

This will the final Update for Wheels at the Vaal. Volker has put on his creative cap and came up with a nice design for our throne project. It can be described as hammer and fire throne. I am busy putting in the detail of the joints and actual size's before we put on the board to work from. I will bring 5 forges, 4 anvils, leg vice and basically all the other hand tolls that we will need. I will bring coal and Roto Engineering kindly sponsor the steel. If you have, you need to bring your own special tools and hammers. Don't forget safety equipment!

We need one or two others to bring a small anvil each. Also bring containers for water, coal and ash.

You are welcome to bring any of your creations for display or for sale. This is an opportunity to share your passion with the public.

There will be some basics like a kettle and coffee, tea, Oros and the like. We can make some pap and sous. We will also get some wors and rolls, but ultimately you are responsible for your own food. Any super duper breakfast you my require, snacks and something to braai is up to you. Also bring own utensils, cup and plate. Own drinks go without saying.

There will be a army tent again (very cold) or bring your own tent. Camping chairs are also very handy for a tired body.

The Mittal visit is scheduled for 11:00 am at Vereeniging Mittal plant in Mario Millani Street. Remember to bring ID books. No cameras will be allowed inside, including mobile phones with cameras.

You can phone me if you need more info about the weekend.

Coenraad Vegter

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glen,
I have a number of pictures for this event, for which a folder is already created in the Gallery. But I cannot post them, because of the format (bitmap image) any idea I how to get around that?

Wim

Lukas, these things are very scarce, I would ask around on farms in your area. The North West province has a lot of large farms, where farmers used to sharpen there own implements, plow shears and stuff. They often had a little blacksmith shop on the farm, with a handcranked blaasbalk, a small anvil and a legvise. That is your best bet.
Gaan jy weer Vaal toe kom hierdie jaar?

Groete, Wim

• 3 weeks later...