I Forge Iron

champion post drill

Howdy all!  I just acquired a Champion post drill on a trade and its operational but a wee bit rusty buttttttt its missing the chuck.  According to my gauge its a 1/2" X 24 thread.  Is there such a critter??  And if so where can i get a replacement?  I actually want to get rid of my modern drill press and use this post drill for everything so finding a chuck is rather important.  Any help would be appreciated!!

Keith

Greetings Keith,

Normally a Champion drill has a I/2 hole for a chuck... If so its simple they make a tapered shaft that fits in the chuck and a 1/ 2/inch male shaft that fits the drill with a set screw..  If you had a picture I could help you more...   

Jim

The post drill has an integral shaft with the threading at 1/2"X24tpi.  Obviously very non standard at least by todays standards....taps and dies are available for purchase but if a champion shuck can be found with this thread gage then thats what i would rather do.post-969-0-70123100-1367453956_thumb.jpgpost-969-0-68964600-1367453979_thumb.jpg

Greetings again Keith,

Log on to vintagemachines.org and under Champion blower forge it will show you the hub that you are missing on your drill... Easy to make and the chuck installation is as I said before.... The 1/2 shaft fits in and locks...  easy fix..

Jim

Thanks for the link!!  It showed what i needed...I still have to get a tap for 1/2X24tpi to thread onto the drill shaft and have to either get drill bits with standard shafts (all 1/2" shank) or get a drill chuck with a shaft and counterbore the hub thing to accept it so i can use any style drillbit.  maybe make 2 hubs and do both!!

Greetings again Keith,

I think all you need to do is lower the feed and see if you have enough shaft length to use a slip on bolt lock hub like the picture from Champion... I think someone just tapped an existing hole....

Good Luck

Jim