I Forge Iron

Belt Grinder Techniques?

S.Hollowood

I am going to be purchasing my first belt grinder in a little while (next month or 2). I was hoping that some of you on the forum could share some of your techniques, or possibly point me in the direction of a knife/sword maker in my area who might be willing to help me. In exchange get an assistant for any project they might be undertaking. 

If you will be getting a well made quality grinder and the quality belts you need for knife making, I can suggest a couple of items:: Number one is the piece I did years back entitled bp 0235, I show how to grind a blade and list the belts I use. The next step is to get about forty feet of practice material. Maybe some one inch  or one and a half inch by 3/16" or quarter inch thick mild steel. cut this up into blade size pieces and start grinding. There is not an easy way to learn this you have to practice to move forward. And if you have a machine that is poor or use poor quality belts it will be frustrating. Certainly time spent with someone willing to teach would be a great move and may cut a lot from the time needed to learn. That of course is if that person is good at it to begin with.

I am in the U.S. on the East Coast. 

Thanks for the advice Rich! I have some 1" 1/4" mild stock that i have laying around from a candle holder scroll project that i might use. I have used the 2 x 48 belt sander at the local guild, but i am moving onto a coote  2 x 72 with the 10/8" wheel and glass platen. I haven't used something that big before, I have a 4" x 36" belt sander that has served faithfully as i got started, but it is time to move onto  decent entry level machine.