I Forge Iron

52100 scrap

Rantalin

I just got a new job to earn some extra money for the summer, and in the same building is a shop which machines 52100 steel into various imprinting dies. The guy said I could just take any of the scrap they have lying around. Most of it is cylinders about 3-4 inches in diameter and a couple inches high. How easily could I take these chunks and turn them into a bar for making knives and other tools from? I don't have access to any sort of power hammer, so it'd all be done by hand.

The guy had a piece on the scrap pallet that was a good 7 or 8 inches in diameter and about a foot long. I asked about it but he said it was still a good piece and was going to be used. Needless to say I was disappointed.

I agree with both Rich H. and Thomas P. That would be SOME wailing by hand, but you could cut them in strips maybe 3/8" or 1/2" (or whatever it takes depending on the thickness) using a band saw or even a sawsall across the diameter. Would yield 3 or 4 pieces that would be suitable for some blades. remaining "crescents" could also be forged easier I'm all for using what you can find, but don't wear yourself out. That kinda work takes the fun out of it ;) See attached example

2905.attach