I Forge Iron

Question about screw diameter and box length

Fatfudd

I wasn't really in the market for another post vise but there was one listed on CL: with some misspellings that seemed to say I should call on it. The pictures 

weren't the greatest but it looked fairly large so I called the fellow and he said it belonged to his Dad who was a tool collector of sorts. He said it weighted 100lbs. I agreed to meet him and at first glance it looked like it had been seriously monkeyed with. It had an addition to one jaw, about a 1/2in extension. and a sort of odd plate forged onto the end of the post. One thing really caught my eye tho was the diameter of the screw, it seemed really large for the weight of the anvil and the jaw size, which are 6in. The screw and box are in perfect condition. I went ahead and bought it, paid about $100 for it. I took it apart when I got home and noticed that the jaw extension was rived on and on of the rivets was loose. so I punched both rivets out and decided I'd leave the jaw extension off, When I put it all back together the jaws wouldn't close because the box was too long. It bumped up against the opposite jaw. I appears now after looking at it for a couple of days and fabricating some new parts that sometime in the past, a previous owner replaced the box and screw for what ever reason. He didn't get the same size replacement parts and wound up having to do some "smithing" on the old vise. He made a replacement collar for the front screw lead out of an old piece of threaded pipe and he was able to get the box into the back jaw by heating it and expanding it then pounded it back down to size. It won't come out.  Since the box was too long he added the 1/2in jaw  extension and riveted it on.

I remade some of his original additions, such as the screw collar and tapped the rivet holes and put in hardened bolts to hold the jaw extension.

All in all its a really stout old leg vise, with one heck of a huge screw.

So after that long story what should be diameter of a  100 lb Columbian/Cleveland vise and what size vise would have a 1 1/2 in diameter screw thread?

Here's some pics-

post-25611-0-63455900-1366673050_thumb.j

post-25611-0-98793600-1366673058_thumb.j

post-25611-0-16599600-1366673067_thumb.j

For NM that isn't too bad of a deal. The more you hang around SWABA the more tools you'll find. Its also surprising what shows up on CL and is gone in a matter of hours, or minutes.

There was a sweet Columbian 125lb anvil with stand on CL a few weeks ago for $150. Lasted much less than a day.