I Forge Iron

Hello

Chris J.

Hi all,

I've been browsing the site for the last week or two and finally got around to making an account a few days ago. I just started blacksmithing (or maybe I should say attempting to blacksmith) and so far I'm loving it.

I hope to work hard and improve a lot. I started out by making a poker for my forge. This weekend I'm attempting to make a pair of tongs...so far, I've screwed up once. Going back out there later this afternoon to try again.

Well, I failed a couple more times, but I've got another pair partway done that's much better than earlier attempts. The difference between my first try this morning and what I have sitting in front of me now is astounding. Even though I'm not going all that fast with these, I can see I'm improving and that's what matters most to me. Hopefully I'll get them mostly or all done tomorrow. I'm definitely seeing the need for a good rounding hammer as I try to draw out reigns from 3/4" rod (I'm working the design/method from Brian Brazeal's tong tutorial on youtube).

Welcome aboard Chris, glad to have you.

Are you taking notes? Mistakes are the norm, we all make them. Noting what works and what doesn't is very helpful but it's important to note what you were trying to do, what you did to make it so and what actually happened. The benefits are obvious for the given project but the other benefit goes like this. What the heck! I wanted to make a left handed hook threader but this terrible failure looks a lot more like a outhouse flush handle! ARRRRGHHHHH!!

Well, you know two things: one, something that doesn't work for the desired purpose and two, a result that may be the PERFECT thing for something else down the road. Pics, sketches and the "failure" should live long for you to prosper. Keeping your first project regardless of how it works or doesn't is a really good idea. Later you can look at it, remember that FIRST time and see how far you've come.

Frosty The Lucky.