I Forge Iron

Treadle Hammer Question

I never built mine, started but life kept interrupting so I was taking it one thing at a time and the great white . . . birch got me so the pieces are scattered out in the connex.

I don't know where the drawings are, I'll have to search through old file two computers old and see if I can find them.

In short it's a Watt linkage similar to the Grasshopper by Bruce Freeman. A quick Google search with Grass hopper treadle hammer hits on a LOT of site. this is a good illustration of one showing the arm linkage and HIS return spring arrangement. http://204.200.219.38/blacksmithing/grasshoppers.html

that version is WAY more complicated than it needs be but does show how the hammer arms convert a swinging action to clean linear action without the friction losses of a slide guide or even roller guides. the downside is no matter how you use Watt linkages it requires more precision and is more complicated.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Frosty -  Nice hammer for sure.  Not many of us have a shop or financial resources to build one like that fine piece of machinery.  From my own personal perspective building the hammer that I did  was eminently doable with the available technology and with most of the materials already in place on my steel rack.  Even if that splendid design had existed back in 1990 when I built mine, I would have likely built the one that I did because there was a clear path to success.  It is built and has been in used since then.  

Still you have got to admire those who build something like that.

Knots, you got that right! That setup makes mine look like like a Tinker-Toy. I might have had funding for that kind of item if I found the plate at the scrapyard but I do not have the equipment even to deal with stuff that thick safely. Wow that is certainly awe-inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Heck I do not even have room for the one I am building that one looks like bigger yet.

I didn't intend to build anything like that heavy myself, that's an example of overkill. That was the first one I ran across that showed the hammer linkage fairly clearly. Though I don't know why he built the treadle linkage that complicated.

Still the Grasshopper linkage is only one Watt linkage and there are simpler applications of that one as well. Even if I had the steel available I'd use a different plan and use the steel in something else, a power hammer for instance. My version was WAY simper, smaller footprint and could be rigged with an air brake can for a powered thump.

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't intend to build anything like that heavy myself, that's an example of overkill. That was the first one I ran across that showed the hammer linkage fairly clearly. Though I don't know why he built the treadle linkage that complicated.

Still the Grasshopper linkage is only one Watt linkage and there are simpler applications of that one as well. Even if I had the steel available I'd use a different plan and use the steel in something else, a power hammer for instance. My version was WAY simper, smaller footprint and could be rigged with an air brake can for a powered thump.

Frosty The Lucky.

There is no time like the present.  Why not build your version now ?   Or at least draw it up so that someone else can build it.   I, for one, would like to see it.   

I'll see if I can find the drawings but can't promise anything. Since the head injury I can't seem to keep things straight, if I walk out to the shop to start marking out steel for the frame, there's NO telling what I'd end up doing. There's no way I'd try drawing it from memory, I'd have to redesign it from the basic principles. I'm afraid my heart just isn't in to it that much anymore.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 months later...

Alright, whew! Long story short I finished this hammer months ago, but I got locked out of IFI when the server changed. Evidently the new system did not like the "&" in my screen name and kept kicking me out. However, the wonderful Glenn figure it out for me and I am back! Woo Hoo Thanks Glenn!

It works great! and it is fully adjustable. Adjusting it is not quick but it is sure and safe -and you know I'll take that. I pondered for quite some time on how to make it adjustable. I explored hydraulic jacks, rack and pinions off old drill presses, and the welded chain idea that was presented here. Out of all of them I liked the chain idea the best. It was in my price range and seemed to make the most sense. And really that was what I was going to do until it came down to where to mount the crank handle. Because I used two upright c channels as the main frame the center of my support column is hollow. The only place I could figure on the chain being welded to the structure was in the center or valley of one of those C's. Then the adjustment handle, used to crank the spring mount up or down, would either stick out the front or out the back. I did not like either one of those options. Also, with that configuration the crank handle would ride along wherever the pivot needed to go, just another drawback that I could see.  

I got to thinking, why not have a stationary hand crank and use the chain to pull it up or drop it down. So I drilled a couple of 1/2 through holes in the frame at the top and the bottom. Put a couple of 1/2" axels through with milled flats for the sprockets at the top and bottom. I used two stop collars for each axel at the top and bottom to keep them from sliding out. For the hand crank I spent a morning at the scrap yard trying to find a wheel such as that. The only ones I could find were on valve bodies and held with roll pins and I did not have a hammer or punch. So I gave up and headed out  for the day disgusted that I brought the wrong tools. On the way out, in the last bin I found a about forty of those cast hand wheels and I snagged one. To make an adapter for the hand wheel I used a 1 1/8" bolt drilled out to accept the 1/2" bottom axel. That is pinned in place.

Overall it turned out great and I am happy with it. The next steps are to use it for a bit more and then redesign a few features as needed. One of the first things I might do is to make all of the springs reside within the side supports and not in a straight line. The all-thread that they are mounted to flexes a bit on the ends. Moving them in would help with that. The only thing that I am embarrassed about it is the lock for the toplink. I made a great ring and took the time to weld it perfectly in the center, it looked great. I put it on and wouldn't you know, it hit the bottom spring and the hammer would not drop down all of the way. I quickly modified it with a cutting torch and hap-hazardly bent a new *smaller ring. It is still there and every time I look at it I am reminded that I knowingly did a quick fix and never fixed it right.

By the way works great for cracking walnuts, thanks for all of your help.

post-9521-0-57573900-1386218350_thumb.jp

post-9521-0-11385800-1386218396_thumb.jp

post-9521-0-70006900-1386218584_thumb.jp

post-9521-0-40203500-1386218612_thumb.jp

post-9521-0-04200400-1386218661_thumb.jp

post-9521-0-59903500-1386218686_thumb.jp

Gotta agree with Francis and Trying-it,  that the in-line format is superior.

It's not much more difficult to make and has several serious advantages.

If you do make a swing arm type, go for tight pivot mechanisms and long arms.

Lateral slop in the swing arms is a handicap. Put a safety cable or chain on the hammer shaft.

If you are going with vertically adjustable, make sure you can really lock that puppy down solidly!

Most treadle hammers have much too light an anvil and post.

Get the springs as far away from you as possible and string a safety cable through them.

The shock of  impact, is going try hard to take things apart. Build for that.

I write on the authority of some broken fingers and a very crushed thumb.

Thanks to all for participating in this thread.

When folks take the time to share everything and post pics and explanations the way they did with this thread it plants the seed of DO-ABLE in my mind.

I bought a TH several years ago and loved it, coming from the hand hammer. The ideas here make me want to build another, but I filled the space in my shop with a Kenyon style air hammer. The air hammer vs the TH.... The air hammer will still be in my shop till they find y dead body :)

Nice builds!

Dave

Windancer is right, I did forget to thank all of you folks. I had ordered the set of plans from ABANA. Plans are pretty much black and white. Having the ability to bounce ideas off of folks who know is priceless and one thing that keeps me coming back. Thanks again for all of the help. I only wish I would have known about the inline version of TH. I believe I would have built that one as it looks like a better design of adjustability. Who knows, I may do it just because I can . . . but it will have to wait until I find a bigger shop.