I Forge Iron

Presenting your work

The first faire I'll be going to is coming up, and I've been thinking about how to present my goods. What I've done in the past is lay them out on the table, with tags on each item. I've found that the tags make things look kind of cluttered. Most of the things I make are small, to small to put price stickers on.

A friend of mine, a bladesmith, has a small board with prices of his knives, but he only has a dozen or so knives in a few styles, so it's easy to do that, but I've got a lot more variety.

Any suggestions on how to present my goods? Should I keep doing the tags or try something else?

I do the same thing Nick with pretty much the same effect. One thing I will do though is only have one or two of each kind of item displayed leaviing the rest in totes under the table. I have a canopy I built and between the legs on the sides over the tables I will hang a cutdown horse panel on which I put hang my "hanging stuff" hooks triangles etc. I also have a hanger bar across the front for the same purpose. Some things go on the ground around my booth such as tripods and shepherds hooks. I always am lookin for a way to display without it looking so cluttered. Since the show pictured below, I have redesigned my booth. I will be doing a show this weekend And will take picks of the booth and post them here or in the gallery. If you see an idea you like, you are welcome to use it. But My goal now is to make the booth less cluttered and more professional looking.

2861.attach

2862.attach

2863.attach

What type of stuff is it? Can you get some back boards to mount smaller stuff on and put the price on there. Also something laying flat on a table never really catches the eye to someone just strolling past......larger things freestanding yep i'd go with tags and have them on the table, larger non freesatnding items i'd make up some kind of wooden block on the floor to hold them upright them in? Think about your display in 3 dimensions, with height and depth, not just as a flat table to lay things on. You're work could be amazing but not presenting correctly means you loose a huge audience. Keep it eye catching yet simple.

Good luck! Hope it goes well.

I like to display items the way they will be used. Wall hooks hanging on a board with pegs, candlesticks sitting on a table, fire sets in the ground with trammels hanging on them etc. I think it helps the public visualize what can be done with them. I like to tag one of each item so the they can browse. It may be a hanging tag or one by the display. I have a database with all my products in it and print them out as needed on card stock with an 18th century style font. Then tear them out to give an uneven edge and hang them with twine. I have pictures of my setup at MT Forge