I Forge Iron

So what do you think?

I found this one on CL and my wife will not let me buy it, somthing about maternity leave.  I tried tipping stuart off to this one as they want 300. I assumed it was sold. Then, they emailed me today and said that it was still there, asking if I wanted it.  I have another picture of it giving a length of 33 1/2.  It is not small. It looks to me like the plate is missing, and not worth it the time. What are your thoughts?

post-9521-0-80536900-1365735242_thumb.jp

post-9521-0-71833700-1365735273_thumb.jp

It looks like a PW to me with the entire plate missing. Unless you want a large chunk of wrought iron at a dollar a pound (cheap for real WI ) I'd let it pass. The hammer tracks around the hardy hole testify to it's not having a plate or at the least that what face there may be is very soft.

BEWARE: of anvil fever!!!!!!!!!

Greetings WD,

Looks to me like a wooped PW without a hat....  About 250 pounds with a 13/8 hardie hole... Look at the pritchel hole its twice the size..  Most likely came from a old welding shop and abused....   Shame..  Keep looking...

Good Luck,

Jim

Thanks for all of the feedback, folks. It is nice to bounce these ideas off of a few people that have experieinced opinions. I will let this one go.  I would rather pay more at a later time for a nicer anvil than buy another cheap anvil that is a "fixer-upper".  I already have one of those, if I get the urge to do that. By the way I asked for a second picture today of the table and I was sent this picture. It looks like it was scalped.post-9521-0-22831800-1365806677_thumb.jp

Consider your location to be "prime" for picking up a decent anvil at a decent price... I've also noticed a sort of seasonal phenomena when it comes to anvils, as there were very few listings here in FL durring the summer months, and the market opened up around december... When the snowbirds start returning in the next month or so, you might see a gradual influx of iron, so hold fast... just a hunch...