I Forge Iron

Bernzomatic Propane Torch

rbcsaver

Many smart folks here, so perhaps you can help.
I have an old Bernzomatic propane bottle pencil point torch,
that I believe was from my Grandfather's tool box (I'm pushing 60). It has a UL sticker on
the proximal stem, but no part number. It does have engraved "US and Foreign patents applied".

The plastic flame adjustment knob broke a few years ago, and plastic repairs wouldn't work.
No knob, no work.
So, it remained in a box with my newer Bernzomatic MAPP and Propane stuff for years.
A few days ago, I made a new knob from a sliver of 3/4 copper tube and HTS-2000. All went
very well until I had the misguided thought of trying to clean up the copper and HTS-2000 knob
with a grinder instead of a hand file.

As Confucius say, "one nick equal one thousand threads." I did screw up, in my haste

I have called Bernzomatic, and customer service tells me that they recently purchased  the company,
no parts and no info are available.

At the least, does any one have the knowledge of the thread size for the needle valve, and central housing,
so that I may try to re-tap it.

I would like to use this torch to start my forge, more for sentmental reasons, than economics ans I do have many
torches to do the same.

So much thanks,
Steve

post-24573-0-49819500-1365459958_thumb.j

post-24573-0-09635200-1365459972_thumb.j

You need thread gauges and then it's easy. I'd just toddle to the local hardware store with the thing I need to check and ask to look through the drawer of thread gauges. Take a note pad of course and if you feel it's the right thing to do buy the gauge but usually buying the tap and or die makes them plenty happy. heck, by now they're used to me and seeing as I ask interesting questions regarding interesting projects they often don't care if I actually buy a thing. Of course I AM a likeable BSer. <grin>

Frosty the Lucky.