I Forge Iron

Smallest flypress

Alan Evans

Following on from the littlest leg vice thread, here is my contender for the smallest fly press!
It was used by my grandmother for riveting the poppers onto her leatherwork. The spike on the front was used to assemble the components and push the leather onto them. A double ended bottom block was used for the different sides, male or female.

I have been using it as nut cracker.

post-280-0-99117100-1365428386_thumb.jpg

On stones of course! Though maybe rating it in half-pints would be more commensurate with its stature!

Yes the frame is cast and the thread and lever are steel. The corrosion pits are because it was dumped in a quarry after my Grandmother died and I dug it up ten years later after a chance remark by my father when he saw my first fly press. "I chucked a little one of those away when I was clearing out her house"

It is spring lifted and the spring is either bronze or gunmetal, perfect condition when I got it apart.

Alan

In this area of the Cotswolds they call the wall crest stones "cocks and hens". Just thought you might like to know that!