I Forge Iron

First Knife

Knife designs are tough when you're beginning and feeling out what you want to make. Everything looks good, but at some point you have to make decisions as to where to begin.There are a number of sites that have knife designs ready made. This is probably a good source to begin your knife making exploration.

You're off to a good start. Don't be intimidated by what you see others making, but rather, go your own way and keep working to what you want.

Please keep posting.

John

That is indeed a decent first knife.As mentioned the pins do look nice.It is a bit hard to tell from the photo what the angle of the blade is.Some folks like to leave their blades rough from the hammer,while others grind,file,sand to get their final shape.My personal critique would be that the blade and handle both could use some refinement.Your handle seems to be a bit angular and your blade a bit rounded.I think generally speaking these roles are reversed.Great start though and please keep them coming!!Every one of them you make will teach you something about the next one.

yes i wish i had a better finish on the handle but at the time i only had to 100 grit sandpaper. and i like the rough finish on some knives and polished on other. really depends on the other pieces invovled. The handle is a little angular and I'm aware of that.  Thank you for the comment. surprisingly the pins are copper wire i straightened out. 

That is indeed a decent first knife.As mentioned the pins do look nice.It is a bit hard to tell from the photo what the angle of the blade is.Some folks like to leave their blades rough from the hammer,while others grind,file,sand to get their final shape.My personal critique would be that the blade and handle both could use some refinement.Your handle seems to be a bit angular and your blade a bit rounded.I think generally speaking these roles are reversed.Great start though and please keep them coming!!Every one of them you make will teach you something about the next one.