I Forge Iron

Bed Rails

It's a pretty high carbon steel but will cut fine (band saw) with a little patients . It's a little of a pain to work with, but the price is usually right. They will sometimes give them to you at garage sales. Comes in handy for making stands for drill presses, chop saws etc.

Good Luck!

Hi. My spark testing guru tells me that they spark as simple high carbon steel, about 1070. Standard cautions apply on cutting or welding. Careless welds can crack. Can be hard to drill without annealing. I have never tried using them, but have heard that they make a good quickie hot cut.

They're good fabrication material for things around the shop. I'm making a new coal forge using them and some plate for the table. The only thing I bought was the firepot. Mine were probably medium carbon, cut with a chop saw. I still need to weld on the legs and some nuts for adjustable feet. If I find more, it might become a stock or tool rack.