I Forge Iron

How best to use this space

This dirt space is for my stuff ,10'X24'. The walls will be framed, and insulated...at some point.

I guess I will have to have a hood, and exhaust. I have a gas forge I slapped together. That will be used til I get some ventalation.

This coal forge needs some work as well, lined with sheet, and insulated?

I have not done much coal forging, and I have about 300 lbs of fines. They have turned out hard for me to keep burning.

Advise is gladly accepted.

post-2133-0-02683200-1364847798_thumb.jppost-2133-0-02228200-1364847792_thumb.jppost-2133-0-80365000-1364847787_thumb.jp

Work your fines wet.  Make a slurry prior to starting a fire and apply it to the sides of the fire after the flames are fully started and going well.  Start the fire with some coke from the previous day's work or some wood shavings.

I bought several tons of ton from Oklahoma years ago that was mostly fines interspersed with a few fist sized chunks.  Was very frustrating for me to use until someone suggested the water method.

Looks like you have a great room to work in!  I love that forge and can't wait to see how you do the hood.  With the window right there, I'd do a side-draft design and run the chimney out of window!

Any reason why you chose to use the smaller anvil instead of the larger anvil?  Any plans for a post vise?  Tool/stock racks?

Turn your anvil stand around or you will be tripping over that leg. I would just line the bottom of that forge with thin fire brick.   You may also want to consider rotating everything 90 degrees and have your forge out in the middle of the space with the window to the right. This will let you pass long items through the forge and also keep you from messing up that paint on the tin. You will want a hood and I would straight stack it right out the top of the shop.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/30377-is-my-hood-to-tall/#entry311145

You could do it like this with or without a side draft intake

Or like these in the pics (follow Lyle's link) http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/27902-sue-and-elise-first-day-at-brians/#entry283989

Thanks for the tips, @VaughnT... I have not yet made a stand for that anvil the present stand was formed to fit the bottom of that Trenton anvil. The other anvil has a thinner face and fatter bick/horn. Made in Sweden. I do plan to have both working .  I will sure post progress. I must decide where to put the chimney, most likely out the side. turning the forge is a good observation, then I would need to move it more centrally, and exhaust out the roof?  The hood will be a fun project.

I have been drawn away from the shop to get ready for the irrigation season, they will be opening the canal monday.