I Forge Iron

Funny size hole...

bogmonster

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a Norton no 6 fly press. Got it installed today. Quite heavy but help was at hand and the help came with the lifting kit that made the job simple :) Also got a Norton 2A from the same person but that has gone to a friend.

Anyway, there was supposed to be some tooling with the press but it was left behind when it was delivered. May get it, who knows. Either way the presses look to be in good condition and the price was good. 100 pounds for the 2 with tables. So me thinks about making some tooling and plan to use cut off bolts for the shafts. Measure hole in ram with cheapo callipers and a bit surprised to see both were quite a bit under 1 inch - guessed cheap callipers. Found a 1 inch shaft tool - nope, not going to fit. Next tried a 15/16ths, plenty of room. I think the hole is close to 25mm but that sounds very odd given the age of the machine. The rim of the hole in the ram is not perfect but does not feel too bad. Every press I have heard of is imperial - anybody got any ideas? Both presses are the same.

It is not the end of the world, I can try and find some M25 bolts to but down is they will fit.

Cheers, Chris.

Good reason to own a lathe...

My press has a 1" hole but the tool shaft has to be .995 to slip in (clearance and all that jazz).  You may want to make absolutely certain that a rim has not rolled into the opening of the hole - might even want to file a light chamfer there to insure no dimples are raised to cause interference.

25mm would equal .984 and should also work fine if you find that's all you can slide in there.

Ha, I will tell Mrs BM that I am going to buy a lathe next :)

She will be delighted.

Actually, my neighbour who has the other press has acquired an old metal lathe - it's in storage at the moment but we will get it set up soon.

I am totally out of room in my garage (hobby blacksmith in domestic property in UK = small). There is a big lathe in my garage but it is a wood turning lathe. Shavings and sparks - what a great combination :wacko: 

Chris.

If it is slightly under 1 inch and its not just a rolled lip I would consider removing the ram and just take it to a machinist and have them cut the hole to except 1 inch tooling. The amount of material removed should be so small that it will not realistically affect the performance of the press.

Hi Chris, Go get the tooling, you can then check the shank sizes and see that they fit.

It may be that the front edge of the hole is slightly damaged because of tool mounting misuse, try opening it up with a chamfer for about 1/8" back inside the hole.

Note Pressure on tooling in fly presses should be taken on the face of the ram, and this may have caused the front of the location hole to compress slightly if the tooling was not right.

Good luck with it, they are great tools.

Note to moderator, if this is in italic, there is something wrong in the software.