I Forge Iron

No 220V outlet. 110V or Oxy/Acetylene?

If you buy a simple stick welder. I would highly suggest looking for one that has Direct Current capability's. Lots of little stick welders are AC, Alternating Current. Some of them are AC/DC capable. I have a little Miller stick welder that is AC/DC and It was been wonderful. I have welded material 1/8 inch thick to 1 1/5 inch with it. The ticker material was cut with a beveled joint and pre heated before welding multiple pass's. The Direct Current gives better arc control then Alternating Current. Also with DC you can use a TIG torch with Gas bottle and "scratch start" and weld very thin material. And lastly some special welding rods require DC. There are lots of fancy rods for cast iron, tools steel, stainless steel, welding rusty dirty metal, ext. The little Miller I have was around 600 new 7 years ago.

An oxy acetylene set is very nice to have byt you can do SO much more with a welder.... You can always use an angle grinder to cut metal (unless its stupid thick). Recently, Miller has come out with a 110v cc/cv machine (stick, mig, and tig DC output only). If it were my choice, with no 220v power source, I would look into one.

-Hillbilly

Would you be referring to this:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/multiprocess/product.php?model=M00361

That looks like an incredible welder. The only problem is its two grand, which I don't think i'm looking to spend on a welder yet. I've never even welded before, let alone can I justify such an incredible piece of kit.

That would be the one! In that case, I would just spent the money on a Lincoln 110v mig welder from Home Depot. Get one that is shielding gas compatable so you have the option to run both flux core (self-shielded & gas shielded) as well as solid wire mig. My professional opinion would be to stick with self shielded flux core and CO2 for the solid wire. My buddy has little Lincoln like this and it works great. I've only overheated it once the rest of the time, i pop the breaker because his outlet isnt enough amperage so it pops the breaker.

-Hillbilly

Yeah, its funny you mention a 110V mig, I was just exploring that possibility... I came across this:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler125/

It CLAIMS to weld slightly thicker metal than the equivalent-priced lincoln, and is MIG ready. About popping breakers, I'm pretty sure I can avoid that by running it off of my dryer circuit with a step-down transformer to 110V. That way, I'd have plenty of current available. this unit claims the ability to do 3/16ths material. If for whatever reason, I had to do quarter or half inch, could I just weld either side of the joint (a butt joint for example)?

Yeah, its funny you mention a 110V mig, I was just exploring that possibility... I came across this:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler125/

It CLAIMS to weld slightly thicker metal than the equivalent-priced lincoln, and is MIG ready. About popping breakers, I'm pretty sure I can avoid that by running it off of my dryer circuit with a step-down transformer to 110V. That way, I'd have plenty of current available. this unit claims the ability to do 3/16ths material. If for whatever reason, I had to do quarter or half inch, could I just weld either side of the joint (a butt joint for example)?

If your dryer is all electric, thats a 220v outlet, wrong power source for a 110v welder.... Just replace a standard outlet in the garage with a 30 amp one and replace the corresponding breaker to a 50 amp breaker. its simple to do. then just designate that particular plug for the welding machine. 

Mod alert  warning this is dangerous and may be illegal !

As far the ability to weld above 3/16" material, I've welded 1" with my buddy's little lincoln. All it takes is proper metal preparation and some preheat.

-Hillbilly

Also, I would still stick with 100% CO2 for a shielding gas. If the machine gets set properly, you get very little spatter with it, CO2 also provides the deepest penetration, and its the cheapest gas to buy. Don't get me wrong, 75/25 (75% Argon/25%CO2) is a good gas, I just dont prefer it personally.

-Hillbilly

If your dryer is all electric, thats a 220v outlet, wrong power source for a 110v welder.... Just replace a standard outlet in the garage with a 30 amp one and replace the corresponding breaker to a 50 amp breaker. its simple to do. then just designate that particular plug for the welding machine. 

I dont care who I offend with this but: someone is going to get a person killed when he burns your house down with this dangerous advise.

Breakers are sized to protect the wire from over heating,  We can not change a 15 or 20 amp breaker and replace with a 50 amp breaker without changing the wire size to 50 amp rating also.   The same for his suggesting the outlet be upped to 30 amp rating , he has no clue and going to kill you. Last I checked his location in Ohio is still in the USA where NEC is in force, making his suggestion illegal as well.   Get a real electrician before some one dies. the codes are in place to keep people like this away from your electric.

who am I to accuse ??

I hold a Florida Block Master Electrician certification.

Allen Co IN, Electrical Supervisors LIcense

16 years running my own commercial electrical business

IBEW Journeymen  LU 305

Have had my personal electricans license since 1984.

Yes, I'm fully aware that the wires in a 30 A circuit cannot handle 50 A. Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything like this. I appreciate the concern, as for the accusations/hostility, I'm staying out of it and I'd appreciate if we could focus on talking about entry level welding solutions for the blacksmith without proper shop wiring as opposed to starting a great verbal debate. thank you, though - Its good that the breaker swap suggestion was flagged as unsafe, for the benefit of others who might read this thread at a later date.

I hear you, man. And I appreciate it. Having been a member for only a few days, I'm really really pleased to be a part of this community. I'm glad that you care enough to remind us all to follow the xxxxxxxxxxxx procedures, because yeah - with the stuff we do, lives, houses, etc are potentially on the line.

• 4 weeks later...

Fusion welding with a torch will fill many needs in the shop.  You will need instructions on how to set things up and how to handle bottles and regulators.  As stated, stainless and al can be welded with the torch.  I know for a fact that the underground gas lines in Davenport Iowa were welded with torch years ago ( 1/4 wall 16" mains ).  I have a friend that did a lot of the welding.  I use OA to weld a lot but also have arc welders.  Also as stated, hire an electrician to wire an outlet if needed.