I Forge Iron

Making a Rolling Shop Stool.

VaughnT

I've been wanting a rolling stool for awhile now.  Like 99% of my projects, I procrastinate a lot and re-do the design in my head a half-dozen times before I even think about cutting metal.

I knew I wanted a tractor seat and large rubber wheels.  The tractor seat is very comfortable, something you can sit on for hours while doing tedious filing or such, and the bigger the wheels the easier it will be to roll over an extension cord or other small obstruction.

Other than that, I'm open to ideas.

I'd like some height adjustability because my wall-mounted bench is higher than my metal table.  But, I don't really need a lot of adjustability.  Is there a happy medium?

What's stumped me..... how to connect the tractor seat to the body of the stool.  If the connection isn't flexible, the thin sheet-metal of the seat would rip out when you lean to the side.  

I like this design, and my seat has a hole in the center for just such a joint, but the height is then fixed.  And, I don't have the tooling to make a spring that size

IMG00161-20110624-1601.jpg

Or, I could use an automotive coil spring.  Still have to figure out the best way to join the two, and I lose height adjustability.

picture.php

In keeping with the "shop" motif, I had thought about using a small bottle jack or a scissor jack for raising the seat a few inches.  Still can't figure out a decent way of joining the seat to the rest of the stool that will prevent undue stress on the joint.  I'd hate to have something give and drop my fat butt to the ground!

Am I missing something simple?  

When I was at home my father had made a couple of shop seats out of tractor seats. The seat was welded to a pipe that telescoped within another pipe. Adjustment was a bolt or rod that was placed in holes that had been drilled into the upper pipe with a washer under the rod. This allowed the seat to swivel as well as be adjustable for height. His didn't have rollers, just the bottom pipe welded to an old disc blade for a base.

Greetings Vaughn,

Many old ride on lawn mowers have the just right spring for your seat...   You could build square plate with 4 guide tubes for the top and the same plate with 4 tubes on the bottom with casters .. It would look like a box .. Than put your sizzor car jack betweet the plates...  This would give you stability for a cheap price...

Just an idea..   Good luck     Jim

Go to one of those road-side antique type junk stores. I bought a cast iron one in Arkansas for $5...and would have paid much more. Possibility that it is a reproduction John Deere one though. It is now hanging on a pole with  some more "yard art"

Carry on