I Forge Iron

Another Hay Budden Serial Number (with a twist)

Hello everyone. I know almost zero about blacksmithing but I recently purchased a Hay Budden Anvil. They Hay Budden markings are clear and there is a 3 below the HB brand label. It was said to be  300lbs and the dimensions are consistent with other 300lb anvils I have seen online. Here is the twist. On front foot where I expected to see the six or so digit  serial number is only the number 10. The 10 is very distinct so I don't think the rest of the numbers are simply worn away. I haven't been able to find a reference to anything similar anywhere online. I would appreciate any info anyone could offer.

I have attached a couple of photos and you can see it is missing approx a 5 x 5 section of top plate so I am assuming it is pre 1908 from what I have read. (I have ordered the necessary Stoody rod to complete the "Gunther" repair to the section of missing plate) Otherwise it appears to be in pretty good shape.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

post-36135-0-74417800-1362702548_thumb.j

post-36135-0-01267400-1362702557_thumb.j

post-36135-0-86446400-1362702565_thumb.j

Save yourself a whole lot of grief!!!!  Use the anvil as it is, It is totally serviceable even with the bite out of it. It just means that you use that piece for an extension of the cutting table or whatever.

What you will gain by doing a PILE of welding, is nothing compared to getting a scrap piece of 2" plate to level your work out on.

Keep It Simple S------. KISS!!!!

Learn how to make your tools first!!!! Find some other people that you can work with, look for the ABANA affiliate near you. Join in, keep your eyes and ears open, not your mouth. Purchase "A Blacksmithing Primer" or something like that and READ, before you make a mistake or 20.

$.02

Neil

2 thoughts:

1) If it really is the 10th anvil Hay-Budden put a serial number on, maybe better to leave it original to retain it's value, whether you use it or sell it to a collector later on. (I agree with swedefiddle, you can use a nice large anvil like that just like it is)

2) The '10' on the front foot may not be the same 'font' as H-B serial numbers, it's possible they were stamped as a shop equipment inventory number over a faded serial number. What's the height of the 1 and 0? The height of 4 digit Hay-Budden serial numbers measures just under 1/2" tall; later 6 digit serial  numbers measure a shade over 1/2" tall.

I was going to attach a couple pictures of Hay-Budden serial numbers for comparison, but don't see where I can attach a picture when posting a reply. If anyone can help me with that, I'll put them on this tread.

Go anead and do the buildup if you have the time, the money, and the welding/sanding skills. You'll be happier and you'll have a nice deep step, so that area of your anvil could be used as a vee block. To my way of thinking, redoing an old anvil is not sacrilege, just time consuming.

I'm curious. I have an anvil that looks like yours and is probably 300+ pounds, but the only discernable marking on it is a numeral "5" in the waist next to the handling hole, horn side. For comparison's sake, what are your dimensions, if you don't mind? Mine are: overall length 33 1/4"; height 12 3/8"; face 20" x 5 3/8".

I'm pretty sure I've seen that Hay Budden in person, and it's every bit the 300 lb. monster... Grind it to clean bare wrought iron, pre heat, keep that remaining plate from losing it's temper, and start laying build up beads... 7018 rods, de-slag, a hammer peen your welds....

I'd really be concerned about how that plate delaminated in the first place, and make sure the flaw didn't continue underneath the remaining plate.