I Forge Iron

Fire fender, table, bench, thing.....

MLMartin

Here is one of the stranger projects I have made. The client asked for a fire fender, table, and bench all in one. I have never heard the term fire fender but that is what he called it. I would say fire screen. I tried to talk the client out of a combination project but he was adamant that one thing be all three items, First off I know that the vertical bars are to far apart to stop sparks. He wanted this design and told me he had gas logs and there would be no sparks to deal with. The whole shape is heavily based off a photo of a cheap fire screen that's probably from a sweat shop. But this is what he wanted. The piece opens up to set in front of the fire place, then it folds closed and with the addition of a table top of some type becomes a table / bench. I am not making the table top.

There are 193 tenons through the top frame. My little addition to make it a nicer product. I am fond of the shape but personally I would have liked to have built just a table that was solid and did not fold then set a sheet of glass on top.

But here is what I have, Mild steel, about 17" tall and 56" wide, 1/4" round, 3/8 hex, and 1/4 by 3/4 flat bar. bees wax and black gilders paste finish

Mackenzie Martin

Martin Forge Works

post-1847-0-47528700-1362365704_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-14653400-1362365746_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-36744400-1362365957_thumb.jp

Greetings ML, 

Looks to me like it would serve another function....  The new puppy cage..... 

I'm retired now but when I had my downstate shop I had a lady bring me a Porshe boxer fender and she wanted me to make a 5ft tall flower pot with the flowers growing out of the headlight....  She said she would tell me what it was for when i finished....

Seems her husband without her knowledge bought the Porsche and as he left the dealership door he crashed it...    It now sits outside thier breakfast room so that every morning he has to look at it...  

We do what we have to to keep the dollars flowing...   Carry on      JIm

Some of the wax may melt off if he really gets the fire going. I am not worried about it. He did not want paint and something like stove black is out of the question because it would mark peoples cloths if they sat on it. I was not comfortable with a coating that would have a chemical smell if he over heated the thing so wax seemed the only choice to me.

Anyone have a better idea for a coating?

At the end of the day its what he asked for, I hope he likes it.

Mackenzie Martin