I Forge Iron

RR Spike head markings (again)

I have read countless threads and articles about RR spike head markings and have found a lot of interesting information... but what I haven't found is what the markings on the these spikes denotes... I have about 100 of these. Regardless of what it means, they'll make good trowels, coat hooks, hat racks, etc. I'm not so much into making knives and I know that regardless of head markings, RR spikes make nice novelty knives, not so much quality working knives. Thanx for any information anyone may have concerning these markings.

post-29108-0-71302200-1361746537_thumb.j

Here is a link to the bladeforums where the markings on spikes are explained. It also has a link to a website with more info.  http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/343476-Head-Markings-and-Carbon-Content-of-Railroad-Spikes  According to the thread the HC does mean high carbon with tolerences of .2 to .3 percent carbon content. I used to be concerned about carbon content of the spikes but since they are not high enough to really make any kind of good knife I just treat them all like low carbon. I dont attempt to harden them anyway so I don't pay any attention to carbon content. Most who make knives etc., with them don't really pay a lot of attention to that either. They can be hardened though not enough to make a good knife that will hold an edge for any amount of time. Still fun to play with though.

Fred.

Good Morning,

I spoke to a fellow that used to work for the company in Vancouver that made railroad spikes. He said there were only 2 producers of spikes in Canada. In Canada the spikes that have the large 'V' on the head were made in Vancouver and the ones that have a large 'H' were made in Hamilton.

Neil

Neil... that's interesting.  I'm guessing there aren't a lot of companies that make RR spikes any more and to think that the ones in Okmulgee Oklahoma came from Vancouver... kind of cool :)

These come off of a little industrial feeder line that was reworked about a year ago.  I spoke with some of the BNSF guys that work the line and they said to take all I can pick up... as long as they are not in a tie!  Also have access now to tie plates and track...