I Forge Iron

Fancy Leaves, and how to make Bamboo?

Morning Smiths - I had a request by someone to make a fire grate to go in front of the fireplace... One of the things she loves is bamboo plants and asian style things...

My idea is to make a few bamboo leaves (already done) and I'm trying to figure out how to make a stick of bamboo, have been thinking of a small pipe heated and folded back on itself a few times for the bamboo sections... Has anyone tried this - or can offer any advice?

Also, I have been thinking with my leaves to get them really fancy I could take a drammel tool and cut the veins into them, and then inlay a little brass in them to make it look silver and gold, anyone who has ever done anything like this, I Would love advice. :)

Good video.  I had always thought that was how it was done but now I know. 

The smith is more of a man than I am.  I'd never forge in shorts, no socks, and running shoes.  He's a big boy, though, and if something bad happens be it on his head.

Orientally,

George M.

You really need very little equipment to do this work but what I didn't show was the the jig for the power hammer and the horizontal hydraulic press. This allowed me to produce a couple hundred feet in a half a day :P

''There's no substitute for power'' Don Hawley....(I think)

• 3 weeks later...

i saw a guyin nm heat up his finished demonstration, and at a red/orange heat he brushed it with a brass colored wire brush, it left it with a bronze/ brass type finish that really set off the detail of his piece,and highlighted the high spots just an idea and its cheap to try, im not sure of the longevity of the finish, but play around a little and see what you get.