I Forge Iron

Old smith's ledger from Yorkshire

I've purchased an old smith's ledger covering from April 1905 to September 1906. It has no owner's name in it or location, however I have done a location search for the clients' names (e.g. Madgwick & Pickard) and there is about a 90% chance it is from Yorkshire and about a 10% chance it is from Devon.

It has entries for all sorts of work, as you'ld expect for a rural smith, but it's the prices as well as the variety of work that I find interesting e.g.: four shoes two shillings & 8 pence; shovel repair 6 pence; barrow wheel 4 shillings; new end to chisel 2 pence; repair candlestick & poker 1 shilling. Four shoes for named horses are typically 3 shillings (preumably because the named horses were bigger working beasts). At the back of the book are some entries for 1937, by then four shoes were 7 shillings - inflation!

If anyone out there is researching such information I'll be happy to supply pic's of the pages.

I'd be very interested in seeing a couple of pages worth of entries, if sending / posting some scans or photos wouldn't be too inconvenient.   I've been researching my family tree, and know that there were a number of smiths in my family during that period (and earlier), working in rural North Wales (Flintshire).  I'd assume the types of work would be the same in all rural areas at the time.

Cheers,

Neil

• 3 weeks later...