I Forge Iron

show me your tire hammer

this topic is for people who want to build a tire hammer (like me) and want to see all the possible different designs out there for ideas on how to make their own. the style of tire hammer i am looking for i havent been able find pics or plans of anywhere. last year sometime i went to a bladesmtihs meeting at the Haywood Community College and i saw a tire hammer there that they said they had had a class and made 35 or so there. i emailed the contact person who got that ABS meeting around and havent heard from him at all.

thanks for looking

Royce

Posted · Hidden February 21, 2013 - Links to anvilfire
Hidden February 21, 2013 - Links to anvilfire

i have found a few designs already but not exactly what i was looking for here are the ones i found they are on anvilfire and they seem to be the closest i have found to the one i am looking for

http://www.anvilfire.com/power/cr-jyh_index.htm

http://www.anvilfire.com/power/nc-jyh_index.htm

macbruce i was thinking of removable dies and i knew when i was puting those links here that af and ifi are like oil and water they dont mix which is why i mentioned they were from af. Right now i am looking at the placement of the tire more than anything else then the spring style dies i had taken for granted were removable

Regardless of the politics, links to anvilfire are not allowed to be posted here. 

Mod54

I have a tire hammer that was built at a BAM workshop led by Clay Spencer. You can't go wrong with it. It is currently at a friends shop being used. They can be built in less than a week if you have a bandsaw and welder. Below is the notice in our current newsletter about plans for one.

Ray Clontz Tire Hammer Plans by Clay Spencer
Send check/money order for $30 to Clay Spencer, 73 Penniston Pvt. Drive, Somerville, AL 35670-7013. Includes postage to US and Canadian addresses. Other countries e-mail clay@tirehammer.com for price. 256-558-3658. Tire Hammers for sale contact me for current price.

macbruce i was thinking of removable dies and i knew when i was puting those links here that af and ifi are like oil and water they dont mix which is why i mentioned they were from af. Right now i am looking at the placement of the tire more than anything else then the spring style dies i had taken for granted were removable

Regardless of the politics, links to anvilfire are not allowed to be posted here. 

Mod54

I'm not sure I have heard of anyone needing to replace the tire yet. Does it happen often? I don't use mine daily but in 6+ years Mine looks fine... I would guess changing that tire would be similar to changing any other tire once removed from the vehicle/machine. YMMV

When BAM did their last build the cost was about 1500 I think. They bought most of the stock new and of course the anvil stock which as I recall was 6" round. The motors were ordered from a surplus supplier and the drive pulleys were sprockets with pipe welded onto them also from a surplus supplier, then turned true on a lathe. I would imagine if you can scrounge some of the material you could build one for 500 less the anvil which can either be really expensive or dirt cheap. The anvil needs to be pretty much a solid piece or made of heavy plate welded up into a solid mass.

No guarantees on any of that just my opinion.

the response i got from clay spencer.  

"No blacksmith groups are getting together to do workshops.

The Tire Hammer plans are $30, postpaid. Send a check or money order to Clay

Spencer, 73 Penniston Pvt. Drive, Somerville, AL 35670-7013. 

I sell a few hammers each year for $2600."

Royce,

The Spencer hammers are an excellent design and have proven to be very servicable. I have a CS hammer in my shop (Number CS-343). It was part of the NESM orchestrated build in 2011. If you have the opportunity get involved with a team build as they offer the best use of everyones particular skill set and it reduces the time required to finish the project.  I haven't experienced any deficencies or operational issues with my own unit. 

As finished, they need to securly mounted to something soild.  They are a 300 RPM recip device and they will oscilate if you don't bolt it down somewhow.  I chose to mount my own on a 4x4 steel plate (@ 800 lbs). Tooling does require some creativity because of the relatively low lift height. In this regard,  

Upon review, you get a stand alone, proven mechanical design produced for something in the neighborhood of $2000.00. The unit has a reasonable finished footprint, low overall height and it is somewhat portable. If noise or vibration is an issue in your shop, fill the upright stantion with sand and oil and or mount the hammed on a section of high density stall matting.   Good luck with your project.  

Peter

Royce ,

On the Spencer hammers I have seen, the die sets are bolted (socket head, cap screws) into the tup and the anvil in two places. 

I am sure you could use any number of other configurations that suits your needs.  Two bolt points seems to work pretty well.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...