I Forge Iron

Identify This Old Axe??

This one is a hewing axe, I believe.  The blade is beveled on only the right-hand side and has a slight sway to the blade.  The blade is 12.5" long, and the manufacture mark on the head that is visible says "Rochester", and there is also a stamp mark that looks like a rose next to "B15" or "P15" or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

post-25053-0-86957300-1361229156_thumb.j

post-25053-0-60661600-1361229241_thumb.j

post-25053-0-48459800-1361229296_thumb.j

Note that the handle has been replaced---perhaps Many Times and no guarantee that the latest one was put on by anyone in the know----(I was once trying to buy a hammer head cheap but the dealer kept wanting to get too much for it as he had put in a new handle---and done it so badly that I pulled out the handle and handed it to him and asked him "How much for just the head?") 

Note that the handle has been replaced---perhaps Many Times and no guarantee that the latest one was put on by anyone in the know----(I was once trying to buy a hammer head cheap but the dealer kept wanting to get too much for it as he had put in a new handle---and done it so badly that I pulled out the handle and handed it to him and asked him "How much for just the head?") 

There's an antique dealer around here that does the same thing. I've asked him in the past if I can just look at his unhandled heads, but he refuses, since a shoddy handle job can triple the price he gets.

No help on the maker but its a common broad axe.  I have and use several just like it.  Its a reversable pattern flip teh head and its good for a right or left handed hewing. The handle would have been bent to clear the log. Check out mud pond hewing to see on in action.    

• 1 month later...

Regarding reshaping of the axe head (it's gotten pretty flattened and out of shape over the last century), does it make sense to reforge the head and beat it back to a reasonably original shape?

And if so, how would one go about doing that without jeopardizing the blade side?

Scott

Rochester is a town near me in England, it has quite a history so this axe could have been for a number of things if it came from there. Or it could be another Rochester somewhere in the world, or Rochester could be a surname or just a name of a forge. Not exactly helpful I know!