I Forge Iron

Firepot welding question

95silverstallion

I once had a man come into the shop that I worked in, telling me he was a "certified" welder from Cali. So I handed him a hood, gloves, and some 6010

rods and told him to weld a angle iron brace in a truck water tank I was building. After about 5 minutes he called me over and told me something was

wrong with the machine or the rods. I took them and welded in the brace and asked him to weld something while I watched LOL. He never moved after

striking an arc. He couldnt weld with a mig either. Long story short if his weld would have looked like yours I would have had a little more helo building

those tanks. Your welds look fine. Like Sam said prep the 1/2 plate and weld er up and start forging.

Heres a couple pics from the plate welding. I used the .025 wire since I had it and it was already in the welder. First pic was just an intial pass to fill the seam and put some heat in it. Second pass I just weaved side to side. I ran out of wire though so i'll use some .030 for the rest. Although I borrowed a stick welder from a friend so I may do some with that just for the experience. 

I think it came out pretty well.

DSC04434_zps06b175af.jpg

DSC04437_zps88354b0e.jpg